This recipe is impressed by a breakfast rice bowl referred to as Tamago Kake Gohan that we ate again and again throughout our journeys to Japan. Its title interprets to “egg rice,” and that’s principally what it’s – a uncooked egg combined into piping scorching rice. Don’t be scared – the recent rice cooks the egg as you stir it in. The result’s essentially the most creamy, scrumptious bowl of rice you’ve ever had. It’s virtually like risotto, however with out a lot of the stirring!
It’s conventional to high the eggy rice bowl with furikake and Japanese pickles… however in fact I topped mine with a bunch of veggie toppings that you could simply discover and not using a journey to a specialty market.
Though this rice bowl is often eaten for breakfast, Jack and I wish to eat it for dinner. Let’s make it!
Primary rice bowl components:
To make the bottom of the rice bowl, begin with brown rice, eggs, and a splash of tamari.
From there, the best method to high the completed bowl is with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, scallions, and sliced nori. When you can’t discover nori, simply skip it!
To make this breakfast bowl extra of a dinner, I added roasted broccolini:
To make the eggy rice bowl:
1. First, make it possible for your rice is freshly cooked and piping scorching.
2. Crack the egg over the recent rice.
three. Use chopsticks (or a spoon), to vigorously stir the egg into the rice till the egg turns into cooked and the rice turns into creamy.
four. Stir in a splash of tamari, for seasoning.
Prime your rice bowl!
You’ll be able to high your rice bowl nonetheless you want, that is my primary formulation:
- Typical Japanese toppings: scallions, sesame seeds, and nori
- A vegetable: roasted broccoli and some micro greens
- A pickle: pickled ginger, as a result of it’s simpler to search out than different Japanese pickles
- One thing wealthy: I add sliced avocado to my bowl and an additional egg yolk to Jack’s
- For further pop: I wish to splash somewhat rice vinegar (or ume vinegar), however that’s non-compulsory
And that’s it! Serve with further tamari on the aspect.
When you’ve got further roasted broccoli, reserve it for this broccoli quinoa salad. When you’re on the lookout for extra makes use of in your nori sheets, make these nori wraps, or strive do-it-yourself sushi – this shiitake maki recipe, or this mango avocado recipe!
Avocado & Egg Brown Rice Bowl
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Major dish
- Small bunch broccoli or broccolini florets
- Additional-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 to three cups (extremely popular) cooked brown rice
- 2 eggs
- splashes of tamari
- 1 scallions, finely chopped
- avocado slices
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the broccoli florets on the sheet with drizzle with olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and unfold onto the sheet. Roast till tender and browned across the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Scoop the cooked brown rice amongst two bowls. Whereas the rice is piping scorching, add 1 egg per bowl together with splashes of tamari, and stir vigorously in order that the egg gently cooks because it coats the rice, making the rice a creamy consistency.
- Prime every bowl with the roasted broccoli, scallions, avocado slices, sesame seeds, and desired extra toppings (nori, pickled ginger, microgreens and/or an additional egg yolk). I wish to splash my bowl with somewhat rice wine vinegar or ume vinegar for further tang. Serve with tamari on the aspect, for seasoning.
Stovetop Brown Rice: Mix 1 cup rinsed brief grain brown rice in a pot with 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Convey to a boil, cowl, cut back the warmth, and simmer for 45 minutes. Take away from the warmth and let it sit, coated, for 10 extra minutes. Fluff with a fork.