Baba ganoush is a type of issues that I eat fairly darn typically, however I not often make at dwelling. Nicely, that’s about to vary as a result of 1) it’s eggplant season, and a pair of) it’s manner too simple and scrumptious to not have readily available always! Significantly, each time I’ve made baba ganoush these days, I haven’t been in a position to withstand consuming it by the spoonful standing on the kitchen counter. It’s creamy, it’s lemony, and it has a pleasant nuttiness because of the tahini. If I don’t eat it multi function go, it’s greatest served on a platter with heat pita and crisp summer season veggies.
What’s baba ganoush?
If you happen to’re asking, “what the heck is baba ganoush?”, don’t fear – it’s rather a lot easier than it sounds. Baba ganoush is a Mediterranean eggplant dip made out of roasted or grilled eggplant, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Like hummus, it’s scrumptious with pita or contemporary veggies, however its silky texture and irresistible smoky taste set it aside. This baba ganoush recipe is a must-try summer season dip!
Baba Ganoush Components
My baba ganoush recipe calls for six fundamental substances:
- Eggplant, to make the sleek, smoky base
- Tahini, so as to add creaminess and nutty taste
- Lemon juice, to brighten it up
- Olive oil, to make it wealthy and easy
- And sea salt, to sharpen the nutty, smoky taste
I checklist it as non-compulsory, however I like so as to add a small pinch of smoked paprika to amp up the smokiness of the dip. That is nonetheless an amazing recipe with out it, however the further smoky kick actually takes it excessive.
One other be aware – make sure to use good tahini on this recipe. As a result of there are so few substances right here, you actually style it, and bitter tahini will make for a bitter dip. My favourite manufacturers are Cedar’s and Seed + Mill.
The best way to Make Baba Ganoush
Making baba ganoush isn’t tough, nevertheless it does take a while, as step one is cooking the eggplant. Whereas many conventional recipes ask you to grill the eggplant, I discover it simpler to roast it within the oven. I wrap 2 medium eggplant in foil in order that the eggplant steams inside its pores and skin with out the danger of exploding within the oven. Then, I place them on a baking sheet and roast them in a 400-degree oven till very tender, about 1 hour. Grilling directions are additionally included within the recipe card beneath.
As soon as the cooked eggplant is cool, peel and discard the pores and skin. Then, switch the eggplant flesh to a strainer over a big bowl or your sink. Let it drain for 20 minutes – this step is crucial for making a thick, creamy dip that gained’t grow to be watery.
After that, it’s simple! Mix the eggplant in a meals processor with the opposite substances till easy. Historically, baba ganoush is blended collectively with out a meals processor, however I personally like my closing dip silky easy, and the best solution to obtain that’s with a number of fast pulses of the meals processor.
Final – Garnish it up! Drizzle the dip with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley, a pinch of smoked paprika, and some pink pepper flakes. Sesame seeds could be a good selection too. Heat your pita and serve!
What to Serve with Baba Ganoush
My favourite solution to serve baba ganoush is as an appetizer or snack with crisp veggies and pita bread. You may additionally serve it because the creamy dip in a summer season crudité platter or make an epic Mediterranean appetizer board with pita chips, tzatziki, hummus, and contemporary or grilled veggies.
Alternatively, load it into pita sandwiches (I particularly prefer it with falafel) or serve it alongside a easy salad like my Greek salad, couscous salad, or tabbouleh.
If you happen to love this baba ganoush recipe…
Attempt my pesto, chipotle sauce, cilantro lime dressing, or guacamole subsequent!
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Appetizer
- 2 medium eggplant
- ¼ cup tahini
- three tablespoons contemporary lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, extra for serving
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Pinch of pink pepper flakes, non-compulsory
- Pita and veggies, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and wrap the eggplant in foil. Roast the eggplant for 50 to 60 minutes, or till it’s tender and collapses to the contact. Take away from the oven and put aside.
- As soon as cool to the contact, peel the pores and skin from the eggplant, eradicating any huge clumps of seeds. Place the flesh in a strainer over a bowl and let stand for 20 minutes to take away extra water.
- Place the eggplant flesh, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt in a meals processor and pulse till easy. Switch to a serving dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley, smoked paprika, and pink pepper flakes, if utilizing. Serve with pita and veggies.
Word: For a extra conventional, smokier baba ganoush, prepare dinner the eggplant on the grill (no foil), till the eggplant may be very tender and charred throughout. Take away the charred pores and skin and proceed with the recipe directions.