Do you crave candy meals or do you crave salty meals? I was somebody who wanted a candy deal with within the afternoon, however through the years I’ve began to lean extra towards the salty aspect. What’s good about candy potato fries is that they’re a bit candy and salty – the very best of each worlds, when it comes to crave-ability! Plus, they’re wholesome, particularly after they’re baked within the oven vs. fried.
As a result of we love candy potato fries a lot, we lately went again to the drafting board testing out all types of variations to learn the way to get a superbly baked candy potato fry. It was rigorous and scrumptious job… suffice it to say that I’m not going to be vitamin A poor any time quickly. Listed here are our findings!
Crispy Baked Candy Potato Fries Necessities
Once I got down to make crisp, mouthwatering home made candy potato fries within the oven, I attempted each tip and trick within the guide. I soaked my sliced potatoes in chilly water earlier than cooking after which tossed them in cornstarch. I soaked my sliced potatoes and didn’t toss them in cornstarch. I sliced my potatoes, tossed them in cornstarch, and baked them with out soaking. I salted earlier than baking and after baking….I might maintain itemizing variations all day, however I feel you get the image. After ample testing, listed here are my ideas for making completely crispy fries at residence:
- Soak your candy potato matchsticks in chilly water earlier than placing them within the oven. I soaked mine for 30 minutes, however you possibly can soak them longer you probably have the time. As soon as soaked, be sure you dry your fries totally earlier than tossing them with oil.
- Toss them in cornstarch. This helps them change into only a bit extra crispy than baking them with out cornstarch.
- Don’t salt till the fries are baked. Of all the following tips, I discovered that ready on the salt made the smallest distinction within the closing texture, however if you would like really crispy fries, sprinkle them with salt as soon as they’re out of the oven.
- Bake your fries on a metallic rack on a baking sheet. This permits the oven’s scorching air to achieve all sides of the fries, which means that you just don’t have to flip them! (When you don’t have a metallic rack, flip every fry midway by means of baking.)
- Don’t peel your potatoes! Their skins are nutritious and assist create crispy fries.
- When you have a convection setting in your oven, now’s the time to make use of it. Convection ovens flow into air consistently, selling fast, even baking that can get your fries calmly browned & crisp.
Collectively, the following tips will get you completely crisp fries at residence, however when you don’t have time to soak your potatoes, or when you’re out of cornstarch, don’t fear. I discovered that every of those modifications yielded solely small variations, and I devoured all of the candy potato fries variations I examined. It doesn’t matter what, they’re going to style good. And, full disclosure, I nonetheless make mine the best method – the one which seems on this video:
Find out how to Make Candy Potato Fries
Making candy potato fries at residence isn’t tough! Simply observe these simple steps:
- Slice your candy potatoes into matchsticks ¼-inch thick. Attempt to reduce your fries to a uniform measurement in order that they bake evenly.
- Soak them in chilly water for 30 minutes or extra. As soon as your fries have soaked, switch them to a kitchen towel and pat them dry.
- Toss them with olive oil & cornstarch. Maintain the salt!
- Place your fries on a metallic rack on a baking sheet with area in between every one. In the event that they’re too crowded, they received’t crisp up within the oven.
- Bake in a 450-degree oven for 30 to 38 minutes, or till properly browned & crisp, however not burnt.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and allow them to cool barely. Get pleasure from instantly! Candy potato fries are finest eaten proper after they’re baked, however you probably have leftovers, they’d be nice stuffed into tacos or chopped up and topped onto on avocado toast.
Find out how to Serve Baked Candy Potato Fries
- Sprinkle them with contemporary herbs like finely chopped cilantro and/or parsley.
- Toss them with spices after baking. Chili powder, shawarma spice, smoked paprika, or a candy/spicy combo of cinnamon & cayenne would all be scrumptious.
- Gown your fries in a comfy mixture of minced rosemary and somewhat garlic powder.
- Don’t overlook to dip! Chipotle sauce is my dip of selection right here, however I like sriracha mayo, ketchup, and mustard, too.
What to Serve with Home made Candy Potato Fries
Candy potato fries are nice on their very own, however if you wish to make your fries a part of a meal, they’d be terrific with any of those recipes:
The Greatest Darn Vegan Veggie Burgers
Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
Portobello Pups – my tackle a veggie canine!
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
Portobello Sliders with Pepita Pesto
Falafel Burgers with Yogurt Dill Sauce
And when you love these fries, I urge you to step out of your fry consolation zone and make these crispy baked parsnip fries subsequent!
Baked Candy Potato Fries
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Facet dish, snack
- 2 kilos candy potatoes (about 2 massive), sliced into ¼-inch sticks
- four teaspoons cornstarch
- Further-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- contemporary herbs, corresponding to chopped parsley and/or cilantro
- pinches of crimson pepper flakes
- Chipotle Sauce for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and place metallic racks inside 2 rimmed baking sheets. This permits the oven’s scorching air to achieve all sides of the fries in order that you do not have to flip them midway by means of baking. If you do not have metallic racks, you should use parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Soak the candy potatoes in a big bowl of chilly water 30 minutes. Drain, then pat dry.
- Sprinkle with the cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Unfold the potatoes onto a fair layer on the baking racks/sheets so that there is room between every fry. Bake for 30 to 38 minutes or till browned and crisp however not burnt. When you aren’t utilizing the metallic racks, flip the potatoes midway by means of.
- Take away from the oven and season generously with sea salt.
- Toss with contemporary herbs, crimson pepper flakes, and serve with ketchup, mustard, or chipotle mayo, as desired.
Video Manufacturing by: Christian Remde of Palate Movies.