This summer season, after bringing residence pints of blueberries from the farmers market, I got down to make a blueberry muffin recipe I might actually love. See, I am keen on baked fruit in nearly any type (see right here, right here, or right here), however most candy, cake-y blueberry muffins are too wealthy for me to get pleasure from for various bites. For me, the perfect blueberry muffins aren’t too candy, they usually’re deeply flavorful and moist. Most significantly, they put bursty, peak-season berries entrance and heart.
Enter: the right selfmade blueberry muffins. These moist, fluffy little guys are loaded with juicy, jammy berries, and a pinch of cinnamon offers them additional depth of taste. I like to devour one for breakfast or a day snack, they usually’d be good for packing into lunchboxes or taking up the go. We’ve had this recipe on repeat round right here for the previous few weeks. I hope you like it as a lot as we do!
My Wholesome Blueberry Muffin Recipe
These blueberry muffins are yummy, however they’re secretly wholesome too! Right here’s what makes them so darn good (and good for you):
- Entire wheat pastry flour and almond flour. This combine yields a tremendous moist texture. Make sure you search for entire wheat pastry flour right here – it has extra vitamins than all-purpose flour, however it’s extra finely floor than common entire wheat flour, which may make baked items dense.
- Further-virgin olive oil. Simply 1/four cup provides the right quantity of richness.
- A bit cane sugar. Most blueberry muffin recipes name for a cup or extra of granulated sugar. I exploit a lot much less in order that my calmly candy batter actually lets the sweetness from the blueberries shine.
- Vanilla and cinnamon. They add heat depth of taste.
- Contemporary blueberries, after all! They’re loaded with antioxidants and fiber. Plus, after a couple of minutes within the oven, they develop into deliciously bursty and candy.
To spherical out these simple blueberry muffins, I exploit eggs, baking powder, sea salt, and almond milk (common milk works too!). This mix yields delectable, fluffy muffins, they usually’re wholesome sufficient you can be ok with having fun with one (or two) for breakfast.
When you assemble your components, whisk collectively the moist components in a single bowl and the dry components in one other.
Pour the moist components into the dry components, and blend till simply mixed. Then, toss the blueberries with a little bit of flour, and gently fold them into the batter.
Pour the muffin batter right into a greased muffin pan, and bake till the tops spring again to the contact and/or a toothpick inserted comes out clear. I at all times eat one straight out of the oven, however should you can resist them, their taste is even higher once they’ve cooled to room temperature. Get pleasure from!
Finest Blueberry Muffins Suggestions
- Toss the blueberries with a pinch of flour. Frivolously coating the blueberries in flour earlier than you fold them into the batter helps them keep suspended within the muffins. That method, you get a couple of blueberries in each chew as a substitute of ending up with a giant pile of berries on the underside.
- Add lemon oil! These wholesome blueberry muffins are nonetheless good with out it, however a little bit lemon oil provides a pleasant vibrant taste. For those who don’t have lemon oil, a teaspoon of lemon zest can be nice too.
- Don’t overmix. For those who bake usually, this goes with out saying, however should you’re new to muffin-making, make sure to combine your batter till simply mixed. Overmixing will make your muffins dense and difficult.
- Make a double batch, and freeze the extras! These muffins freeze completely, so make a giant batch in a single go. Then, maintain a stash readily available within the freezer for on-the-go breakfasts and fast snacks! You’ll thank your self later.
For those who love these wholesome blueberry muffins…
Attempt my banana muffins, blueberry scones, chocolate zucchini bread, or banana bread subsequent, or head over to this submit for extra of my favourite fast breakfast concepts!
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: breakfast, snack
- 1½ cups + 2 tablespoons entire wheat pastry flour
- a further ½ teaspoon flour to mud the blueberries
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 giant eggs
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon oil, elective
- 1 ¼ cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a big bowl, vigorously whisk collectively the almond milk, olive oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and lemon oil, if utilizing.
- Mud the blueberries with ½ teaspoon flour and toss to calmly coat them. This may stop them from sinking to the underside of the muffin cups.
- Pour the dry components into the bowl of moist components and stir to mix. Gently fold within the blueberries. Use a ⅓-cup measuring cup to scoop the batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 17 minutes or till the muffin tops spring again to the contact.