Currently, we’ve had SO a lot rain right here in Chicago. For me, wet days are the perfect days to bake… and I don’t assume there’s any deal with extra completely match for wet day baking than these delectable blueberry scones. Crisp on the skin, smooth within the center, completely moist, and studded with juicy blueberries, these are all the pieces scone ought to be.
This recipe comes from Marcella DiLonardo’s new ebook Bake the Seasons. I’m obsessive about Marcella’s Instagram account, @modestmarce, so I’d been eagerly awaiting the arrival of her cookbook. When you love seasonal produce and also you like to bake, you’re going to like this ebook! The recipes are organized by season… which signifies that you’ll wish to begin with the Roasted Strawberry Oat Muffins earlier than strawberry season ends, and also you’ll look ahead to her cute little cherry hand pies as soon as cherry season hits. She additionally has some yummy seasonal savory recipes like a enjoyable pesto twist bread and a ratatouille gratin that I’ve my eye on.
However earlier than I get carried with my pleasure for future summer time produce, let’s speak about this (straightforward! versatile!) blueberry scone recipe!
Blueberry Scones Components
This blueberry scone recipe has a enjoyable twist: the dough is seasoned with chamomile. So as to add its mild, cozy taste to your scones, steep a chamomile tea bag in heavy cream earlier than continuing with the recipe. I liked the natural be aware it added to the scones, however when you don’t have chamomile tea readily available, don’t fear. The scones will probably be scrumptious with out it. Right here’s what else you’ll want to make them:
- Heavy cream, for moisture and richness. I don’t maintain cream round the home, so I substituted full-fat coconut milk, and it labored completely.
- All-purpose flour, as a result of no flour = no scones
- Cane sugar, so as to add some sweetness
- Baking powder and baking soda, to assist them rise
- Sea salt, for a slight savory be aware
- Chilly butter, for that craveable buttery taste and wealthy texture
- An egg, to make them delightfully puffy & moist
- Vanilla extract, for additional depth of taste
- And contemporary blueberries, for large, tangy, juicy bites. When you can’t discover good contemporary berries, thawed frozen blueberries will work simply tremendous too.
Notice: When you’re searching for a vegan or gluten-free scone recipe, head over to this put up to make my Vegan Raspberry Coconut Scones!
The way to Make Blueberry Scones
Able to bake? Right here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Begin by bringing the heavy cream to a simmer. Drop within the chamomile tea bag, and let it steep for 5-10 minutes. Then, set the cream apart to chill. When you’re not utilizing the chamomile, skip this step.
- Subsequent, sift collectively the dry elements.
- And add the cubed chilly butter. Use your palms or a pastry blender to work the butter into the flour combination till it resembles pea-sized crumbles.
- Pour within the egg, vanilla, and cream, and stir till the dough comes collectively.
- Fold within the blueberries!
- Flip the dough out onto a calmly floured floor, and mildew it right into a 1 and 1/2-inch thick disk.
- Minimize the disk into eight wedges, and organize them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the wedges with cream, sprinkle them with sugar, and bake in a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Get pleasure from!
What to Serve with Blueberry Scones
These blueberry scones are simply what I crave within the late afternoon after I’m beginning to really feel some pre-dinner tummy rumbles. I’ll have one with a easy cup of tea or a matcha, turmeric, or chilly brew latte.
They’re additionally an amazing on-the-go breakfast (particularly when you make them over the weekend and freeze them for busy weekdays!). I wish to have one with a smoothie like this espresso smoothie, this kale smoothie, this avocado smoothie, or this strawberry banana smoothie.
Alternatively, serve these scones as half of a bigger brunch with a frittata, breakfast casserole, or shakshuka.
Blueberry Scone Recipe Variations
This scone recipe is fantastic as-is, however when you’re within the temper to get artistic, listed here are some concepts to alter them up:
- Make lemon blueberry scones by folding the zest of 1 lemon into the dough.
- Swap the blueberries for raspberries, blackberries, or dried cherries.
- Fold in 1/three cup sliced almonds or chopped walnuts so as to add some crunch.
- Go in a sweeter course by topping them with a easy lemon glaze! Attempt stirring collectively half cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon almond milk, and the zest of 1 lemon to drizzle excessive.
- Add a tablespoon of orange zest to the dough, and use dried cranberries as an alternative of blueberries for a wintry variation.
When you love these blueberry scones…
Attempt these banana muffins, this zucchini bread, this pumpkin bread, or my wholesome banana bread subsequent!
And make sure to try Bake the Seasons! Blissful baking!
Writer: Marcella DiLonardo
Recipe kind: Breakfast/snack
- ¾ cup heavy cream, extra for brushing
- 1 chamomile tea bag
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cane sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilly and cubed
- 1 giant egg, calmly crushed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup contemporary blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over low warmth, mix the cream and chamomile tea bag. Deliver to a simmer, then take away from the warmth and let steep for five to 10 minutes. Discard the tea bag and put aside the infused cream to chill.
- In a big mixing bowl sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter. Utilizing your palms or a pastry cutter, work within the butter till the combination resembles pea-sized crumbles. Add the egg, vanilla, and cooled cream. Stir simply till the dough comes collectively. Fold within the blueberries.
- Switch the dough to a calmly floured floor. Utilizing your palms or a rolling pin, form right into a disk 1 to 1½ inches thick. Minimize into eight even wedges. Organize wedges on the ready baking sheet, brush the tops with cream. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or till the tops are golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes on a rack earlier than serving.