Served piping scorching with a hunk of crusty bread, this creamy, nourishing butternut squash soup recipe is fall consolation meals at its finest.
My favourite fall custom is making butternut squash soup on Sunday afternoons. On a brisk day, there’s nothing extra soothing than chopping and simmering greens over a heat range. As you cook dinner, the kitchen fills with the comfortable scent of sage, rosemary, and butternut squash, and whenever you’re completed, steaming bowls of butternut squash soup (that can final all week!) reward you in your work.
Up to now, my go-to butternut squash soup recipe has included coconut milk and curry spices, however this fall, I discovered myself craving one which was a bit extra conventional. After I say conventional, I don’t imply that I exploit hen inventory, heavy cream, or butter on this recipe. It’s a scrumptious, all-veggie butternut squash soup, that embraces fall flavors, that includes sage, rosemary, and a little bit of ginger for kick.
We’ve been loving this soup these days – it’s creamy and nourishing, good for satisfying cozy fall cravings. With solely 10 components, it’s straightforward to make, so cook dinner an enormous batch at present, and luxuriate in butternut squash soup all week lengthy! Glad fall. 🙂
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe Substances
To make this butternut squash soup recipe, you want 10 easy components:
- Butternut squash – This soup packs in Three kilos of squash, so search for a medium-large one on the retailer or farmers market. For those who don’t have a scale at house, I like to recommend weighing the squash whenever you purchase it!
- Yellow onion and garlic – These veggies add scrumptious depth of taste.
- Recent sage and rosemary – I don’t attain for rosemary as usually as another recent herbs, however I completely like it right here. Together with the sage, it makes this soup cozy and complicated.
- Ginger – Its heat taste highlights the autumnal style of the herbs and squash.
- Further-virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons add the proper quantity of richness.
- Vegetable broth – As a result of the blended squash turns into creamy by itself, there’s no want for dairy, coconut milk, or nuts right here! With veggie broth as its base, this can be a vegan butternut squash soup recipe.
- Salt and freshly floor black pepper – Add them with the onion initially of the cooking course of, however ensure to style and regulate on the finish as effectively. That approach, you’ll make a soup you actually love!
Let’s cook dinner!
First, chop the veggies! Sauté the onion till it turns into translucent, add the squash, and cook dinner till it begins to melt. Then, stir within the herbs, garlic, and ginger. Pour within the broth and simmer till the squash turns into tender, about 20 minutes.
When the squash is tender, switch the soup to a blender. Mix till the soup is vibrant orange and creamy. Lastly, pour it into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley and pepitas, and luxuriate in!
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup
Get pleasure from this soup as a starter, facet, or fundamental dish. After I’m making it the middle of a meal, I serve it with good crusty bread or corn muffins and a easy veggie facet or fall salad. Listed below are a couple of of my favorites:
Alternatively, serve it as an appetizer with a hearty vegetarian fundamental dish like Roasted Cauliflower Steaks, Vegan Meatball Sandwiches, Selfmade Mac and Cheese, Solar Dried Tomato Pasta, or a grilled cheese sandwich!
For those who love this butternut squash soup…
Attempt my ginger miso soup, curried lentil soup, or many-veggie soup subsequent, or take a look at this submit for extra of my favourite soup recipes!
Butternut Squash Soup (Draft)
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 giant yellow onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- One (Three-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- Three garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped recent sage
- ½ tablespoon minced recent rosemary
- 1 teaspoon grated recent ginger
- Three to four cups vegetable broth
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Toasted pepitas
- Crusty bread
- Warmth the oil in a big pot over medium warmth. Add the onion, salt, and several other grinds of recent pepper and sauté till tender, 5 to eight minutes. Add the squash and cook dinner till it begins to melt, stirring sometimes, for eight to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, and ginger. Stir and cook dinner 30 seconds to 1 minute, till aromatic, then add Three cups of the broth. Carry to a boil, cowl, and scale back warmth to a simmer. Prepare dinner till the squash is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool barely and pour the soup right into a blender, working in batches if obligatory, and mix till easy. In case your soup is simply too thick, add as much as 1 cup extra broth and mix. Season to style and serve with parsley, pepitas, and crusty bread.