A number of years in the past, Jack and I visited Copenhagen, the place we ate tons and plenty (and plenty) of Smørrebrød. When you aren’t aware of smørrebrød, they’re open confronted sandwiches with artfully-piled toppings on dense, rectangle-shaped rye bread. It’s the nationwide dish of Denmark… that I’m about to make a very non-traditional model of – however that is tremendous yummy, so let’s simply have enjoyable and go together with it! 🙂
Smørrebrød toppings differ broadly, however many frequent mixtures embrace smoked salmon and dill. I’ve been eager to create a enjoyable veggie variation for some time now, so when Wasa, my favourite crispbread model, requested me to make a recipe on their flat perfectly-portioned Euro-style crispbreads, I instantly thought – it’s smørrebrød time!
My creation at the moment is a part of their #CrispbreadChallenge, which is all about making an open-faced sandwich on a crispbread as a substitute of a slice of bread. And the enjoyable doesn’t cease there…Wasa is freely giving a $500 grocery retailer reward card to a fortunate problem participant, all it’s essential to do to enter is make your personal open-faced sandwich (something you need), put it on a Wasa crispbread as a substitute of bread, and submit your creation on Instagram for an opportunity to win! Simply be sure to’re following me + @wasausa and use the hashtag #CrispbreadChallenge.
You guys have to affix in on this problem in case you haven’t already – swapping bread for crispbreads has made for such a enjoyable twist on my standard breakfast and lunches. I also have a coupon for you all to buy your personal Wasa crispbreads, linked right here.
At this time – impressed by these open-faced Danish smoked salmon sandwiches, I made a veggie model of smoked “salmon”… with carrots! How do carrots style like smoked salmon, you may ask? It’s important to simply attempt it to consider it. Belief me on this one, it’s loopy scrumptious.
This recipe begins by making salt-crusted roasted carrots. Don’t fear – you’ll not be consuming this loopy quantity of salt ultimately, as a result of the skins get peeled for probably the most half. This method finally ends up giving the carrots a tremendous smoky taste.
As soon as the carrots are roasted, the mushy carrots get peeled into ribbons and put right into a marinade made with olive oil, rice vinegar, smoked paprika, lemon, and pepper. This offers the carrots a tangy, smoky taste and a little bit of an oily texture that resembles the feel of smoked salmon. Let the carrot items sit within the marinade for a couple of minutes as you get your different toppings prepared. The marinated carrots may also be saved within the fridge for as much as four days.
As a substitute of bread, I assembled my “sandwiches” with Wasa’s Mild Rye Crispbreads that are so scrumptious with these toppings! They’re gentle – good for a wholesome, satisfying lunch. They’re made with healthful, easy elements and have a scrumptious crunch that goes properly with my toppings right here. I begin with a layer of vegan cream cheese, adopted by cucumber slices, radish slices, the smoked carrot items, capers, dill, and chives.
For everybody becoming a member of me within the #CrispbreadChallenge, I’d like to see what a few of your favourite open-faced crispbread mixtures have been! Ensure you take this tremendous fast survey, linked right here, and let me know what you consider the problem!
Carrot Smorrebrod Crisps
- four massive carrots
- Sea salt, for coating
- three tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Large squeeze contemporary lemon juice
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Wasa Rye Crispbreads
- Vegan cream cheese
- Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- Radishes, thinly sliced
- Chopped chives
- Chopped dill
- Preheat the oven to 475°F and line a medium baking dish with parchment paper. Coat the underside with a few ¼-inch layer of salt, then place the entire carrots within the dish and sprinkle with a very good quantity of salt (see photograph). Don’t fear, you gained’t be consuming all this salt within the last consequence. Roast the carrots for 1 to 1½ hours or till simply pierced with a fork, however not mushy. This step could be accomplished upfront.
- Make the marinade: In a shallow dish or small bowl, mix the olive oil, rice vinegar, paprika, lemon juice, and several other grinds of freshly floor black pepper.
- Take away the carrots from the oven and let cool. Use your arms to rub off any extra salt. Use a knife to slice a skinny strip of the pores and skin horizontally off the carrot, after which use a peeler to peel the carrot into ribbons. Place the strips within the marinade and toss to coat.
- When able to serve, assemble the open-faced sandwiches with a crispbread, a slather of cream cheese, just a few cucumber and radish slices. High with some carrot ribbons, just a few capers, and a sprinkle of chives and dill.
- Additional carrots could be saved within the marinade within the fridge for as much as four days. Use them to make extra sandwiches or add to salads or different dishes that decision for smoked salmon.
This submit is in partnership with Wasa.