Certainly one of my favourite issues about changing into a greater dwelling cook dinner is revisiting traditional recipes that I can put a brand new, home made spin on.
This Tacky Potato Casserole is an replace on a really traditional casserole. The old fashioned model is a creamy dish of pure consolation meals. I stored the flavors however ditched the canned soup for a home made sauce! The result’s a baking dish filled with deliciousness that may be the principle focus of a dinner plate served with a facet salad or grilled protein.
I used to be fairly involved that my youngsters wouldn’t contact this casserole — my five-year-old hates cheese. It’s an actual wrestle and doubtless his largest character flaw up to now. However, he legit doesn’t like cheese and has been holding sturdy on this perception for over a yr now. You’ll want to try the Report Card beneath to see if I used to be proper!
Updating traditional recipes is so enjoyable and it seems there’s a purpose sure recipes are so in style. It’s as a result of they’re REALLY good.
THE CLASSIC POTATO CASSEROLE
Potato Casseroles like this go by many names – tacky potatoes, hash brown casserole, Mormon Potatoes, and even Funeral Potatoes.
One factor unites all variations of traditional potato casserole — they sometimes rely closely on canned soups as a sauce base. Whereas there may be nothing mistaken with canned soups, I needed to make the sauce a bit cheesier and creamier by making a home made mornay sauce (béchamel however with cheese).
Don’t fear. It sounds fancy, however it’s tremendous simple!
HOW TO MAKE CHEESE SAUCE
This cheese sauce begins, like so many scrumptious issues, with butter and onion and garlic:
- Cook dinner the onions within the butter for a couple of minutes till they’re translucent however not browned.
- Then add the minced garlic and cook dinner for just a few seconds.
- Whisk within the flour and cook dinner it for a minute or two, and slowly whisk within the inventory. The sauce will thicken because it simmers into a light-weight gravy consistency.
- As soon as the sauce thickens, it’s time so as to add the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper. Take away the sauce from the warmth at this level and it’s prepared to make use of within the casserole recipe.
WHAT’S BETTER: FRESH OR FROZEN HASH BROWNS?
Whereas I like making my very own sauce for this casserole, I desire utilizing frozen hash browns over contemporary. They’re a constant product and simple to make use of. Plus, frozen hash browns are par-cooked so there may be little threat that you’ll find yourself with raw potato within the middle of your casserole.
Whilst you may use contemporary potatoes for this casserole, I don’t suppose it provides a lot. It’s important to be certain that to grate and dry the potatoes nicely and bake the casserole till the potatoes are cooked by means of. This would possibly take for much longer than the 50 minute cook dinner time within the recipe, so you’ll have to check the potatoes sometimes till they’re cooked.
SUGGESTIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
I believe this casserole is admittedly good as-is, so I might preserve add-ins to a minimal. Somewhat pinch of chili powder or one thing related can be okay, however I might keep away from including proteins or greens to the casserole. It might mess with the consistency of the potatoes.
Make-Forward and Storing Directions
This casserole reheats completely superbly, which is why it’s such a preferred bring-along dish.
- To make this tacky potato casserole forward of time: Assemble the casserole, cowl it, and retailer within the fridge for as much as two days, then bake as instructed.
- You can too, bake your entire casserole. Let it cool, cowl it and preserve it within the fridge for as much as 4 days. When able to reheat it, simply comply with the baking directions as should you’d simply blended it collectively. It would want an additional 10 minutes within the oven to take off the chilliness.
- You can too freeze this casserole! I like to recommend freezing it after baking it so the casserole is cooked and also you simply should reheat it from a frozen state. It can preserve within the freezer for 3 to 6 months, and it is best to reheat it in a 350˚F oven till it’s warmed by means of.
The DAD ADD
Fried Serrano Rings. I believed this recipe wanted slightly spice to chop by means of the richness of the dish. That is not a kid-friendly Dad Add, however these tiny little fried serrano rings are an awesome topper to recipes like this.
My son obtained a glance of utter terror throughout his face. “Wait… Does this have CHEESE in it?!!” I did get him to attempt a chunk of the casserole, however, alas, “It tastes like cheese.”
However assuming your little one has not developed a wierd anti-cheese mantra, this recipe is usually very kid-friendly, and most children will gobble it down.