I’ve posted a couple of Caprese salad recipes through the years. Should you look via the recipe index, you’ll discover one with strawberries, one with plums, one with a drizzle of mint pesto, and even cute little Caprese skewers with peaches! What you received’t discover, although, is that this: a basic Caprese salad with gentle, creamy contemporary mozzarella, juicy seasonal tomatoes, and a beneficiant quantity of basil leaves. It’s a salad that’s been close to and expensive to my coronary heart ever since we visited the island of Capri, years in the past, simply after Jack proposed. It was a magical journey the place we ate Caprese salads each day whereas questioning how a dish with such easy elements may probably style so wonderful. It is a recipe that you just hardly want a recipe for, however maintain studying for my tricks to make the most effective(!) Caprese salad, together with a couple of extra enjoyable variations.
The right way to Make Caprese Salad
An ideal Caprese salad begins with nice elements. This recipe is supposed for summertime, when tomatoes are at their juiciest, sweetest, and most flavorful. I like cease by the farmers market and accumulate as many colourful heirloom tomatoes as I can. Not solely are they lovely, however every sort tastes a bit bit totally different, and it’s enjoyable to showcase them on this easy salad. Search for greens, yellows, and reds, and attempt to discover quite a lot of shapes – cherry tomatoes are truthful sport right here too!
Along with peak-season tomatoes, you want these 5 easy elements:
- Recent mozzarella cheese. Search for gentle, spongy mozzarella balls which can be packed in water. Use an excellent sharp knife to softly reduce them into thick slices. You don’t need squished mozzarella!
- Basil. Solely contemporary leaves right here! Dot them over the tomatoes and mozzarella complete, or gently tear bigger leaves earlier than including them to the salad.
- Additional-virgin olive oil. It’s price discovering good-quality, 100% extra-virgin olive oil to make use of on this recipe, as a result of you may actually style it right here. Additional-virgin olive oil has a powerful, fruity taste that’s an awesome completion for the juicy slices of tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil – I don’t advocate utilizing one other oil instead.
- Freshly floor black pepper. Should you don’t have already got a pepper grinder, now’s the time to get one. Grind it straight over the salad for the most effective taste!
- Sea salt. I wish to sprinkle the salad with beneficiant pinches of flaky sea salt, reminiscent of Maldon sea salt. Common sea salt will work too, however skip the iodized stuff right here. It has a barely bitter style that may stick out in such a easy dish.
Slice your tomatoes and mozzarella and layer them onto a platter with the contemporary basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve!
Caprese Salad Recipe Variations
Within the recipe under, you’ll see that I counsel a couple of variations. Whereas it’s onerous to beat a standard Caprese salad made with good heirloom tomatoes, generally it’s enjoyable to alter issues up. Listed below are a couple of of my favourite methods to do it:
- Use half peaches and half tomatoes, like I do on this burrata recipe. Or, skip the contemporary mozzarella on this recipe and serve the tomatoes and basil with a ball of burrata as an alternative!
- Add avocado, or use avocado rather than the cheese in case you’re vegan.
- Strive a mixture of contemporary basil & mint.
- Drizzle the entire thing in a balsamic discount or balsamic glaze for additional tangy taste.
- End the salad with beneficiant dollops of basil pesto.
- High the salad with toasted pine nuts for crunch.
How do you want your Caprese salad? Let me know within the feedback!
Should you love this Caprese salad recipe…
Strive one among these summer season salads subsequent:
Or try this publish for extra of my favourite salad recipes!
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Salad
- three to four medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (Eight-ounce) ball contemporary mozzarella, sliced
- Recent basil leaves
- Additional-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Flaky sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar or lowered balsamic
- Dollops of pesto
- Sliced peaches
- Mint leaves
- Avocado slices
- Strawberries (see this strawberry salad)
- Organize the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly floor black pepper.
- If desired, add elements from the variations listing.