Once I exit to brunch, the French toast on the menu all the time tempts me. What could possibly be extra crave-worthy than thick slices of bread marinated in a warmly spiced custard and topped with recent fruit? I do know from expertise, although, that consuming super-sweet, indulgent French toast at a restaurant is a recipe for a post-brunch meals coma.
My answer? Making this recipe at dwelling! I choose a lighter model, with good bread, eggs, almond milk as a substitute of heavy cream, warming spices, recent fruit, and pure maple syrup. It’s recent and each bit as scrumptious as what I’d discover out to eat, however I end brunch feeling good.
My French Toast Recipe Components
- Eggs and almond milk create the custardy base. I like a ¼ cup milk : 1 egg ratio. For those who don’t have almond milk readily available, any milk will work.
- Cinnamon & cardamom give it a touch of spice.
- A pinch of sea salt provides that important savory/candy steadiness.
- Thick slabs of challah are my bread of alternative. For those who can’t discover challah, ciabatta is simply nearly as good (plus it’s dairy-free). Alternatively, use brioche for a extra indulgent breakfast.
- Maple syrup finishes all the pieces with a drizzle of sweetness.
- And a topping of juicy, candy recent fruit perfects it.
Find out how to Make French Toast
Making nice French toast at dwelling is straightforward! Right here’s how:
- In a big bowl, beat collectively the eggs, milk, and spices with a pinch of salt.
- Dip every slice of bread into the custardy combination, ensuring each side are totally coated.
- Let the dipped bread slices relaxation on a plate or baking sheet for a couple of minutes earlier than cooking – this manner, the batter can soak all through!
- Prepare dinner for 1 to three minutes per aspect on a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium-low warmth. Slices are prepared after they’re properly golden brown.
- High with recent fruit and a drizzle of pure maple syrup, and revel in!
My Finest French Toast Ideas
- Day-old bread is finest. Barely stale bread will guzzle up the custardy batter, which is right for making nice French toast. However don’t fear! For those who’re impatient like me, day-of bread is simply nice.
- Lower thick slices! French toast is finest while you want a fork and knife to chop into thick, custardy slices. Purpose for items which might be 1-inch thick – you don’t need it to be flimsy.
- Good bread = good French toast. Ideally, you’ll slice the loaf your self. Make sure to keep away from thinly sliced packaged sandwich bread, because it turns into too mushy.
- Relaxation your bread. As I discussed above, I’m not essentially the most affected person individual, so this tip is tough, however important. Be sure to let your dipped slices sit for five minutes earlier than cooking. That method, the egg combination has time to soak into the bread, which makes for extra-custardy (and extra-good) French toast.
Straightforward French Toast Recipe Variations
- Spice it the way you prefer it. Cardamom and cinnamon are my go-to decisions, however different warming spices like ginger or nutmeg could be equally scrumptious.
- Zest it up! Add some orange or lemon zest to the batter.
- Fluctuate the fruit with the seasons. I take advantage of macerated strawberries and raspberries on this recipe, however you possibly can simply use different berries, cherries, or peaches of their place. Within the fall, the stewed apples from this recipe could be scrumptious, and pomegranates are my #1 alternative within the winter.
- Skip the maple. For those who don’t preserve syrup readily available, attempt dusting your French toast with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar for additional spice.
- Make it vegan! Do this yummy pumpkin model within the fall, or make vegan basic French toast any time of 12 months.
Serving a gaggle? Head over to this recipe for my finest French toast bake. Alternatively, baked oatmeal, shakshuka, a frittata, or breakfast casserole are a few of my different favourite decisions after I’m making brunch for a crowd. Or take a look at this submit for 50 extra brunch recipes!
Take pleasure in!
Traditional French Toast
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Breakfast
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- ½ cup frozen raspberries, thawed, with their juices
- pinches of cane sugar
- four eggs
- 1 cup almond milk (or any milk)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- pinch of sea salt
- eight 1-inch slices challah bread* (see notice)
- coconut oil, for the pan
- maple syrup, for serving
- Make the macerated berries. In a medium bowl, mix the strawberries, raspberries, and some pinches of sugar. Put aside for 10 minutes for the berries to melt. Stir earlier than serving.
- Make the french toast. In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, milk, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Dip every slice of bread into the combination and set the soaked bread apart on a big tray or plate.
- Warmth a non-stick skillet to medium warmth and brush with coconut oil. Add the bread slices and cook dinner till golden brown, about 2 minutes per aspect. Cut back the warmth to low as wanted to cook dinner totally with out burning. Serve with maple syrup and the macerated berries.
*To make dairy-free french toast, use ciabatta bread.