Picnic salad week continues with this tremendous scrumptious potato salad! I’ve made many potato salad recipes over time, however this can be the primary one which screams “basic potato salad.” Final yr, I shared a recipe for grilled potato salad on the weblog, and I even have a very scrumptious chimichurri vinaigrette-style potato salad within the new ebook, however the day has come… I lastly made a creamy potato salad recipe, and we actually like it! As in, Jack and I stood on the kitchen counter after I first made it, consuming spoonful after spoonful. This model is contemporary, creamy and tangy, with bits of crunch from the celery and radishes and pops of vivid, briny taste from the capers and Dijon mustard.
Similar to all the picnic salads I’ve posted this week, this potato salad is straightforward to make, and it may be made as much as three days upfront. I personally suppose it tastes greatest on day 2 or three when the flavors have had time to mingle.
Greatest Potato Salad Recipe Substances
I swear, that is one of the best potato salad I’ve had. Primarily based on my favourite egg salad, it’s tremendous creamy, tangy, and vivid with the right steadiness of sentimental & crunchy textures. I skip the Miracle Whip and use approach much less mayo than the standard recipe does, however belief me, you received’t miss them. Together with Yukon gold potatoes, right here’s what makes it so darn good:
- Greek yogurt offers the dressing a luscious creamy texture and tangy taste. Plus, it’s loaded with protein! And naturally, I add a bit of good mayo for richness.
- Dijon mustard and lemon make the dressing style vivid & tangy.
- Celery is a basic potato salad ingredient, and it’s important right here. It provides a needed crunch to distinction with the tender potatoes, and its taste is terrific with the tangy dressing.
- Radishes and crimson onion add a pop of pink & additional crunch.
- Capers make this selfmade potato salad actually shine. I used to be going to record them as non-compulsory, however after I tossed them in, I couldn’t cease taking chunk after chunk.
- Herbs add flecks of inexperienced and contemporary taste.
- Turmeric is non-compulsory, but it surely offers the dressing a reasonably yellow shade (see under!).
How one can Make Potato Salad
By no means made potato salad? It’s straightforward! Simply observe these steps:
- First, chop your potatoes. Chopping them earlier than cooking helps them maintain their form after they’re combined into the salad.
- Place the potatoes in a big pot, and canopy them with one inch of chilly water. Convey the water to a boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or till tender.
- Drain the potatoes and set them apart to chill. You don’t wish to combine them with the opposite substances whereas they’re nonetheless sizzling!
- Finely cube the veggies and herbs and whisk collectively the dressing.
- Toss the cooled potatoes with the dressing, and stir within the herbs, veggies, and capers.
- Season to style and refrigerate the salad for as much as three days, or dig in instantly!
So vivid & creamy!
Selfmade Potato Salad Serving Solutions
This salad could be the right addition to a summer time potluck. You may make it and serve it instantly or prep it a number of days upfront. I served it to my household on day three, and it was successful! If you happen to’re searching for a very good vegetarian foremost dish to go together with it, strive any of those recipes:
If you happen to love this potato salad recipe…
Attempt one other of my favourite picnic salads like this pasta salad, this broccoli salad, or this summer time slaw!
Creamy Potato Salad
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Aspect dish
- 2 kilos Yukon gold potatoes, minimize into ½-inch items
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ½ cup diced crimson onions
- 2 tablespoons capers
- four crimson radishes, halved and thinly sliced, reserve some for garnish
- ⅓ cup chopped chives, reserve some for garnish
- 2 to four tablespoons contemporary dill, non-compulsory
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed, non-compulsory
- ¾ cup plain entire milk Greek yogurt (I like Stonyfield Grassfed)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (I like Sir Kensignton’s)
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- three garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric, non-compulsory, for shade
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a big pot and canopy with chilly water by about 1-inch. Convey to a boil, then scale back the warmth and simmer, uncovered, till fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes, put aside to chill to room temperature, then switch to a big bowl.
- Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the yogurt, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, turmeric, if utilizing, and several other grinds of pepper. Be aware: this can style robust and salty at this step; it’ll steadiness as soon as it’s combined with the potatoes.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir to coat. Stir within the celery, crimson onions, capers, radishes, chives, and dill and celery seed, if utilizing. Season to style and garnish with the reserved radishes and chives.