I really like a very good rice bowl and I’m discovering that as a rule, I’m most joyful when it’s topped with greens and a handful of crispy tofu. This recipe is a strong addition to your weeknight meals.
Bok choy is one among my favourite crops to look at develop. I really like how concise the plant is whereas producing lovely inexperienced leaves. Nonetheless, I don’t use it as typically as I ought to, primarily as a result of I hold greens readily available that I can use each uncooked and cooked. If you wish to use one thing you would possibly have already got readily available, attempt wilting chard or kale rather than the bok choy. I discover that is simply as scrumptious and one other good strategy to eat your leafy greens.
One word: I prepare dinner the bok choy on this recipe in order that the greens are comfortable however the stems nonetheless have fairly a little bit of texture. In order for you related texture for the leaves and stems, separate them and slice them into similar-sized items. Prepare dinner the stems till simply tender then add the depart and prepare dinner till simply wilted.
I went with rice however the great thing about this crispy tofu bowl is that any grain will actually do. I’ve been recognized to eat this mix on sorghum, quinoa, or millet. You can additionally drop the rice and eat the bok choy and tofu over noodles.
Crispy Tofu, for the win
On condition that I nonetheless don’t eat loads of tofu, I depend on mates for recipes that I do know work. I used this crispy tofu recipe from The First Mess. I don’t change it one bit which is why you’ll want to go to her website for the recipe.
Lastly, this recipe isn’t overly sauced. I have a look at the sauce as extra of a glaze for the bok choy. Should you’re eager to make this recipe with a strong quantity of sauce, I like to recommend doubling the liquids you place into the pan after you prepare dinner the bok choy. You can additionally department and make a separate sauce, like this homemade teriyaki sauce.
An ideal excuse to choose up these lovely wanting bok choy and make them the star of your dinner. Preserve this vegan by omitting or changing the honey.
Rice + Tofu
1 cup brief grain brown rice
2 small heads of bok choy
1 tablespoon impartial oil
1/four cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
½ teaspoon sesame seeds
Chili Oil or Crushed Crimson Pepper
- Mix the rice with 2 cups of water. Convey to a boil, cut back to a simmer, cowl, and let prepare dinner till the rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Whereas the rice is cooking, make the tofu and the bok choy. For the tofu, I followed these instructions (and you should too).
- For the bok choy, warmth a pan (that may be coated with a lid) over medium-high warmth. Slice the bok choy in half, length-wise. Rinse effectively to take away any filth caught within the stems, simply watch out to not absolutely separate the stems.
- Add the oil adopted by the bok choy. Prepare dinner simply till a pleasant sear develops on the stems and the greens are beginning to brown. Flip warmth to low, add about three tablespoons of water, cowl, and let steam for a few minutes. The greens will start to wilt and the stems will soften barely. As soon as there, take away the lid and add the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and sesame seeds. Spoon to coat the bok choy and prepare dinner for a minute or two extra.
- When prepared, assemble the bowls with the rice, crispy tofu, bok choy, and a small drizzle of the sauce left within the pan. Serve with soy sauce, additional sesame seeds, and chili paste if desired.
As famous within the submit, the stems keep fairly crunchy on this model. Should you’re searching for a extra even texture, separate the stems from the leaves then prepare dinner the stems first, till tender.
Key phrases: crispy tofu, rice bowl, bok choy