What are congenital coronary heart defects?
Important congenital coronary heart defects (additionally referred to as crucial CHDs or crucial congenital coronary heart illness) are essentially the most severe congenital coronary heart defects. Infants with crucial CHDs want surgical procedure or different therapy throughout the first 12 months of life. With out therapy, crucial CHDs could cause severe well being issues and dying.
What are examples of crucial CHDs?
Important CHDs embrace:
- Coarctation of the aorta (additionally referred to as COA)
- Dextro-Transposition of the Nice Arteries (additionally referred to as d-TGA)
- Interrupted aortic arch (additionally referred to as IAA)
- Pulmonary atresia (additionally referred to as PA)
- Tetralogy of Fallot (additionally referred to as TOF)
- Single ventricle defects
- Complete anomalous pulmonary venous return (additionally referred to as TAPVR)
- Truncus arteriosus
What are you able to do to assist stop congenital coronary heart defects in your child?
We all know that not all start defects might be prevented. However we do know there are issues that may aid you increase the chances of getting a wholesome, full-term being pregnant and a wholesome child.
- Take folic acid. Folic acid could assist stop coronary heart defects. Take a vitamin complement with 400 micrograms of folic acid in it each day, even in case you’re not attempting to get pregnant.
- Get to a wholesome weight earlier than being pregnant. Being obese throughout being pregnant could cause issues for you and your child. The prospect of getting a child with a start defect, together with coronary heart defects, will increase in case you’re obese or overweight.
- Get a preconception checkup. A preconception checkup helps your well being care supplier ensure that your physique is prepared for being pregnant. Discuss to your supplier about any medicine you’re taking to verify it’s secure in your child. Get caught up on vaccinations earlier than you get pregnant. Sure infections, like rubella, can improve the danger of getting a child with a coronary heart defect.
- In case you have diabetes, management your blood sugar earlier than and through being pregnant. Get your diabetes beneath management three to six months earlier than you get pregnant. Excessive blood sugar might be dangerous to your child in the course of the first few weeks of being pregnant when his coronary heart begins to kind.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol throughout being pregnant. Tobacco smoke and alcohol are dangerous to your child and may improve your child’s threat for a coronary heart defect. Inform your well being care supplier in case you need assistance to stop. And don’t use digital cigarettes (additionally referred to as e-cigarettes). These include chemical substances, like nicotine, that may hurt you and your child.
- Know your loved ones historical past. Discover out when you have a family history of congenital coronary heart defects or coronary heart illness. Should you do, your supplier could do a check referred to as fetal echo to test your child’s coronary heart.
Go to marchofdimes.org for extra details about congenital coronary heart defects.