The primary time I attempted a candy, vinegary cucumber salad, I used to be hooked. The cool, crisp cucumbers burst with tangy taste, onion added simply the correct amount of chunk, and a sprinkle of dill gave it an addictive, pickle-like style. When English cucumbers began popping up on the farmers’ market this summer season, I instantly considered that first chunk of cucumber salad, and I knew that I needed to make a model to share with all of you.
This cucumber salad recipe is the quintessential summer season dish. Like all the very best summer season recipes, it requires just some components to pack an enormous punch of taste. It’s delectably salty & candy, and the chilled cucumbers and onions are tremendous refreshing on sizzling summer season days. It takes simply 15 minutes to make (together with 10 minutes of hands-off chill time), so toss it collectively and luxuriate in it as a dinner facet or – like me – eat it straight out of the bowl!
Cucumber Salad Recipe Substances
The perfect factor about this brilliant, contemporary, addictive cucumber salad recipe is that it requires simply eight components:
- English cucumber! I exploit a mandoline to get my slices good & skinny.
- Purple onion. The thinner these guys are the higher, so when you have a mandoline, use it for the onion in addition to the cucumber.
- Rice vinegar, sesame oil & honey mix to make a light-weight, candy & savory dressing for the crisp veggies.
- Dill & mint. This combo provides scrumptious freshness to the cool cucumbers and onions.
- Pickled mustard seeds. I record these as non-compulsory, however I extremely suggest utilizing them. Their taste is a superb complement to the dill, and so they add tangy complexity to this tremendous easy cucumber salad.
Add a sprinkle of sea salt, and also you’ve obtained every part you want!
Make Cucumber Salad
This cucumber salad recipe is straightforward to toss collectively. Right here’s all it’s essential to do:
- First, add the sliced English cucumbers and onion to a big bowl together with the honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and contemporary dill. Toss all of it collectively and put the bowl within the fridge to relax for 10 minutes.
- After the combination has chilled, switch it to a serving dish, abandoning any extra liquid.
- Prime the cucumber onion salad with contemporary mint leaves and pickled mustard seeds, when you’re utilizing them.
- Season to style and luxuriate in!
What to Serve with Cucumber Onion Salad
I’ve a tough time not gobbling up this salad as quickly as I toss it collectively. On the times when it makes it to the dinner desk, we love this recipe as a facet dish with basic summer season picnic fare like veggie burgers, black bean burgers, BBQ sandwiches, portobello mushroom burgers, and corn on the cob.
The candy rice vinegar & sesame oil dressing makes this cucumber salad recipe an awesome pairing with Asian flavors as properly. Attempt it as a facet with soba noodles, crispy tofu, or banh mi sandwiches. Add a scoop to a watermelon poké bowl, or pair it with sushi, spring rolls, or summer season rolls to make a light-weight meal.
If you happen to love this cucumber salad recipe…
Attempt my watermelon salad, orzo salad, broccoli salad, Greek salad, or pasta salad subsequent, or head to this publish to see extra of my favourite summer season salad recipes!
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Aspect dish
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced pink onions
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon contemporary mint leaves
- Pickled mustard seeds, non-compulsory (recipe under)
- Further-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, non-compulsory
- In a big bowl, mix the vinegar, agave nectar, cucumber, onion, salt, sesame oil, and dill. Toss to coat and chill for 10 minutes. Switch to a serving bowl, leaving among the extra water behind. Prime with contemporary mint, dollops of pickled mustard seeds, if utilizing, and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Season to style and serve.
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup water
three tablespoons cane sugar
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup yellow mustard seeds
Mix the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small pot over medium warmth. Carry to a simmer, stir in mustard seeds, cut back the warmth, and prepare dinner over low warmth for 30 minutes or till the mustard seeds are plump.
Take away from the warmth and let cool to room temperature. Retailer within the fridge.