Rising up, my household ate dinner collectively each night time. At 6pm, we’d all be on the desk – my sister, dad, and I – prepared and hungry for the meal that my mother had spent her afternoon getting ready. As a household, we not often ate quick meals or processed meals – it was essential to my mother that dinner was cooked from scratch. Tomato sauce by no means got here from a jar as a result of she stored stockpiles of home made sauce readily available, and cheese was by no means pre-shredded as a result of comfort meals like that have been merely not value the additional expense.
Dinnertime was a sound routine for all of us… until it was summertime. In the summertime, my sister and I had extra essential issues at hand. We needed to hold lookout for the ice cream man, maintain swing set leaping contests, and run relays in our jelly footwear. When my mother would name us in for dinner, we’d rush in and eat quick, so we may get again exterior to proceed our play. Meals was wonderful, however play was life. That’s, until the meal she was cooking was lasagna or eggplant Parmesan. The superb waft of saucy, tacky goodness popping out of the oven was one thing to actually get enthusiastic about… even when it meant coming in and savoring it for just a few additional minutes earlier than going again out to play.
When Sub Zero, Wolf, and Cove requested me what residing deliciously means to me, my mother’s eggplant Parmesan and people heat summer time household reminiscences instantly got here to thoughts. Impressed by my mom, I’ve recreated her recipe beneath including my very own little twists right here and there.
My Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Now that eggplant’s in peak season, it’s the proper time to develop an eggplant Parmesan recipe of my very own. The result’s a scrumptious, lighter ode to my mother’s traditional recipe.
Identical to my mother, I make my very own marinara sauce by simmering crushed tomatoes over my Wolf cooktop for about 20 minutes. Then, for recent, herbaceous taste, I add beneficiant pinches of oregano and thyme to the eggplant’s Parmesan and panko coating. As an alternative of frying the breaded eggplant slices, I bake them till properly crisp and golden brown. Lastly, I layer them with the home made marinara sauce and slices of recent mozzarella. And naturally, I can’t resist topping the entire thing with huge leaves of basil from our backyard as soon as it’s out of the oven!
Make Eggplant Parmesan
Able to make eggplant parm? Right here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Bread the eggplant. Combine collectively the herb, Parmesan and panko coating in a single shallow dish, and whisk 2 eggs with a touch of almond milk in one other. Dip every eggplant slice into the egg combination earlier than tossing it within the panko. Make sure that the eggplant is well-coated on all sides!
- Bake the eggplant. Unfold the breaded eggplant slices onto 2 giant parchment-lined baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 400 till tender and golden brown. In case you have a convection setting in your oven, I extremely advocate utilizing it right here. Once I use convection bake on our Wolf oven, the panko will get deliciously browned and crisp. I don’t miss the normal fried eggplant in any respect!
- Layer it up! Unfold some tomato sauce within the backside of a giant casserole dish. Add a layer of eggplant slices, extra marinara, and half the sliced mozzarella. Repeat the layers, ending it off with any remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake! Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, or till the cheese is beginning to bubble. Then, activate the broiler for a few minutes, so the cheese begins to brown in locations.
- Garnish & serve. Let the recent eggplant Parmesan relaxation for a couple of minutes earlier than slicing & serving. Then, prime it with recent basil leaves and dig in!
Eggplant Parmesan Recipe Suggestions
- Slice your eggplant as evenly as you’ll be able to. Even slices imply even cooking, so attempt to reduce your eggplant slices to a constant width. You don’t need some items to overcook earlier than others get tender! The identical goes for the recent mozzarella – reduce it to a constant thickness to get even melting and browning.
- Freshly grate your Parmesan cheese. Your eggplant Parmesan may have extra taste should you get a good chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano (and even pecorino cheese) and grate it your self.
- Get a pleasant, thick panko coating in your eggplant. On this recipe, a number of the greatest texture and taste come from the combo of panko, Parmesan, herbs, and pink pepper flakes, so don’t skimp on that yummy crispy coating!
- Don’t neglect the olive oil! Make sure that to drizzle your breaded eggplant slices with oil earlier than they go within the oven. It’s important for getting the panko properly golden brown & crisp.
- Season between the layers. The general seasoning of your eggplant Parmesan will depend upon what marinara and Parmesan cheese you utilize. With my home made marinara sauce, I like so as to add a sprinkle of salt and some grinds of pepper between the layers of eggplant & cheese in order that the ultimate dish comes out well-seasoned.
Baked Eggplant Parmesan Serving Options
This eggplant Parmesan recipe is hearty sufficient to be a meal by itself, however should you’re searching for one thing to go along with it, you’ll be able to’t go incorrect with pasta (or spaghetti squash instead of pasta) or good crusty bread. Once I make it for mates or household gatherings, I additionally prefer to pair it with a easy veggie facet dish like lemon inexperienced beans, roasted cauliflower, roasted tomatoes, or grilled zucchini, or any of those summer time salads:
If you happen to love this baked eggplant Parmesan recipe…
Attempt my roasted veggie lasagna, zucchini lasagna, stuffed zucchini, crispy baked zucchini, or extra of our favourite dinner recipes subsequent!
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Predominant dish
- 2 giant eggplant, reduce into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 2 eggs, crushed
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons recent thyme
- ½ teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, extra for sprinkling
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Further-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2½ cups marinara sauce
- 2 giant balls recent mozzarella, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup recent basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized shallow dish, whisk the eggs and almond milk.
- In one other medium-sized shallow dish, mix the panko, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, oregano, thyme, pink pepper flakes, salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the egg combination after which into the panko combination. Place onto the baking sheets, drizzle with olive oil, and bake for 18 minutes or till tender and golden brown.
- In an 8×12 or 9×13-inch baking dish, unfold ½ cup marinara, layer half the eggplant, and prime with 1 cup of marinara and half the mozzarella. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, the remaining marinara, and the remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with just a few extra pinches of sea salt. Bake for 20 minutes or till the cheese is properly melted. Flip the oven to broil and broil for two to four or till the cheese is browned and effervescent.
- Take away from the oven and prime with recent basil.
Particular due to Sub Zero, Wolf, and Cove for partnering on this put up!