The one inexperienced bean casserole recipe you may ever want! Recent inexperienced beans, crispy baked onions & a creamy mushroom sauce make it a assured hit.
I’ve had a inexperienced bean casserole recipe on my record to make for years. It’s a staple at my household’s Thanksgiving, and in idea, it’s a dish that’s all about veggies: it contains a creamy mushroom sauce and a great deal of crispy onions, and inexperienced beans are the star of the present!
Like candy potato casserole, it was a pure candidate for a Love and Lemons recipe made with entire meals substances. For therefore lengthy, one factor or one other would bump it off my record – a Brussels sprouts kick, my favourite Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells, and even simply actually good inexperienced beans on their very own. However this yr, I lastly received right down to working by myself inexperienced bean casserole recipe, and I’ve to say that the outcomes are fairly incredible!
Inexperienced Bean Casserole Recipe Elements
Jack and I each adore mushrooms, so I swap the normal cream of mushroom soup for a tangy, creamy selfmade mushroom sauce. Mushrooms, thyme, and Dijon mustard are one in every of my all-time favourite mixtures, so after all, I exploit them right here, together with tamari to boost the mushroom taste and Parmesan cheese for an umami punch. I feel you’ll love this sauce – it’s so good I may eat it straight off a spoon!
Then, as a substitute of canned or frozen inexperienced beans, I exploit recent ones. I blanch them earlier than baking them within the casserole, and so they come out vibrant inexperienced with a pleasant al dente chew. Yum!
And final however not least, I exchange the same old canned French fried onions with a giant pile of crispy baked onions. With a tasty oniony taste and crisp texture, these guys are the proper of completion for this wholesome inexperienced bean casserole. Tip: Be sure to get just a little of all the things in every chew!
Learn how to Make Inexperienced Bean Casserole
This inexperienced bean casserole recipe has three elements: the crispy onions, the inexperienced beans, and the mushroom sauce.
Begin with the onions. Slice the onions into skinny half-moons and toss them with olive oil, flour, salt, and panko. Unfold them in a good layer on two massive baking sheets and roast till they’re golden brown and starting to crisp up, tossing them each 10 minutes.
Then, blanch the inexperienced beans. Carry a big pot of salted water to a boil and add the inexperienced beans. Prepare dinner for four minutes, stirring sometimes, till the beans are barely tender and vibrant inexperienced. Drain them, and switch them to a big bowl of ice water to cease the cooking course of. After they’ve cooled, unfold them on a kitchen towel to dry.
Subsequent, make the sauce. Sauté the mushrooms till they’re tender, and stir in tamari, garlic, and thyme for taste. Sprinkle in some flour, and add almond milk and Dijon mustard. Simmer till thickened, round 20 minutes. Then, stir in Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
Lastly, layer all the things collectively, and bake! Cowl the underside of a greased baking dish with a skinny layer of the sauce. Pile within the inexperienced beans, and unfold the remainder of the sauce on prime. Sprinkle the crispy onions on prime, and bake, coated, for 10 minutes. Uncover the baking dish, and bake for 10 minutes extra.
Get pleasure from!
Finest Inexperienced Bean Casserole Recipe Ideas
- Search for haricots verts. Any kind of recent inexperienced beans will work on this recipe, however we had one of the best outcomes with skinny haricots verts. They’re slimmer than common inexperienced beans, which helps them combine with the sauce and onion topping. Plus, they’ve a scrumptious snappy texture!
- Watch the onions as they prepare dinner, and rotate the pans. While you toss the onions each 10 minutes as they prepare dinner, rotate their baking sheets. This can assist guarantee even cooking – you don’t need one pan to burn earlier than the opposite will get crispy! Watch them intently close to the top of the cooking time, as they will shortly go from excellent to burned.
- Be certain your inexperienced beans are dry. Nobody likes a watery inexperienced bean casserole, so be certain to dry the inexperienced beans completely after you blanch them!
- Make it forward! You may make this inexperienced bean casserole as much as a day prematurely. Bake the crispy onions, blanch the inexperienced beans, and make the sauce. Then, assemble the casserole with the sauce and the inexperienced beans, cowl, and refrigerate till simply earlier than serving. Retailer the crispy onions individually at room temperature. While you’re able to eat, layer on the crispy onions, and proceed with the recipe, baking the casserole till it’s heated by. Get pleasure from!
Extra Favourite Facet Dish Recipes
If you happen to love this inexperienced bean casserole recipe, attempt one in every of these scrumptious facet dishes subsequent:
Inexperienced Bean Casserole
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Facet Dish
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- four teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ kilos inexperienced beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- four garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons recent thyme leaves
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- three cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- ¼ teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- Make the crispy onions: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line 2 massive baking sheets with parchment paper and flippantly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a big bowl, toss the onions with the oil, flour, panko, and salt. Unfold evenly onto the baking sheets and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, tossing each 10 minutes (rotating the pans within the oven as vital), till flippantly browned and crispy. Take away from the oven and decrease the oven temperature to 400°F.
- Put together the filling: Carry a big pot of salted water to a boil and set a big bowl of ice water close by. Drop the inexperienced beans into the boiling water and blanch for four minutes. Drain, and instantly immerse within the ice water to cease the cooking course of. Drain, and switch to a towel to dry.
- Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet, add the mushrooms, and prepare dinner till tender, eight to 10 minutes. Stir within the tamari, garlic, and thyme. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir once more. Add the almond milk and mustard and stir to mix. Simmer till thickened, whisking usually, for 20 minutes. Stir within the Parmesan cheese and pepper.
- Unfold ⅓ of the sauce into the baking dish. Layer with inexperienced beans and prime with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the onions on prime and bake, coated, for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 extra minutes. If the onions begin to brown an excessive amount of, cowl the dish for the rest of the baking time. Garnish with sprinkles of panko and Parmesan, if desired. Serve sizzling.