Flank steak is an odd lower of beef. I don’t care what anybody says. It’s pretty lean, comparatively inexpensive, and its texture has a rough, ropy look. At first look you would possibly say, “No thanks, I’ll take the New York Strip!”
However flank steak, also called London Broil, is a pleasant lower of meat! It cooks rapidly, takes marinades fantastically, and is straightforward to serve to a crowd! You’ve most likely eaten it earlier than and by no means realized it as a result of it’s the lower most frequently used for fajitas.
THE SECRET TO TENDER, JUICY FLANK STEAK
You actually need a three-pronged strategy.
- Use acid in your marinade. It helps to interrupt down proteins within the meat, making it extra tender.
- Flank steak is lean. Like most lean meats it’s essential cook dinner it quick and sizzling!
- Lastly, slice it skinny throughout the grain of meat, which shortens the muscle fibers, making a extra tender chunk of meat.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD FLANK STEAK MARINADE?
Flank steak wants somewhat acid to assist tenderize the fibrous muscle and supply taste. Do that, and you’ll have tender, succulent slices of beef. Skip this step, and there’s a very good likelihood you’ll be chewing shoe leather-based.
Vinegar and lime juice are each nice with flank steak. I additionally examined this recipe with buttermilk, however I personally didn’t take care of it and thought the vinegar and lime juice did a greater job of each seasoning and tenderizing the meat.
For this recipe, I used a mix of white wine vinegar and lime juice.
HOW LONG SHOULD I MARINADE FLANK STEAK?
I got here throughout some analysis that stated you shouldn’t marinade flank steak longer than two hours as a result of it may “scorch” or toughen the meat. The rationale you’ll see it’s because acid breaks down proteins, and when these proteins break down an excessive amount of water is launched and the muscle turns into robust.
However marinades in tighter cuts of meat like flank steak actually don’t penetrate deep into the tissue like they’d with fish, so you could have somewhat extra leeway.
I examined this marinade after two hours, and once more after eight hours. Each instances the meat was tender and flavorful. I additionally tried it after 24 hours and located the meat somewhat robust in comparison with the others. Simply to be on the secure facet, I wouldn’t marinade this in a single day.
CAN YOU MARINADE AND FREEZE FLANK STEAK?
Be happy to freeze this steak with the marinade! Make the marinade in a zipper high bag, add the steak and switch to coat. Squeeze as a lot air out as attainable, then retailer it within the freezer for as much as three months.
Take the steak out of the freezer and thaw it in a bowl of water a few hours earlier than you need to grill it or the morning earlier than you propose to grill it.
HOW TO GRILL FLANK STEAK
Flank steak is an odd formed lower the place one finish is often thicker than the opposite by as a lot as an inch. This alone could make cooking it a problem, however that is really a straightforward drawback to resolve utilizing considered one of two strategies.
- Methodology 1: Pound it skinny. Cowl the floor of the steak with parchment or plastic wrap. Then use both a meat mallet or heavy skillet to pound the thickest a part of the steak till it’s nearer in dimension to the thinner elements. Then marinade as directed.
- Methodology 2: Cook dinner it over two warmth zones. Create a sizzling and heat zone in your gasoline or charcoal grill. Place the thickest a part of the steak on the recent zone, and the thinner half over the nice and cozy zone. That is my most well-liked methodology.
HOW LONG TO GRILL FLANK STEAK
Lean cuts of meat like flank steak are actually greatest when served medium uncommon. In case you cook dinner it to the medium stage or past, the meat is hard and chewy somewhat than juicy and succulent, so shoot for medium uncommon even when it’s not your regular vary.
Keep in mind, too, that point is variable. To get a superbly cooked steak each time, insert a meat thermometer by means of the facet of the thickest a part of the steak.
- Medium: eight minutes per facet (145°F)
- Medium Uncommon: 6 to 7 minutes per facet (135°F)
- Uncommon: 5 to six minutes per facet (125°F)
These instances are primarily based on cooking the steak with the two-zone methodology, not the strategy of pounding the meat thinner. The cooking instances could also be quicker should you used the pounding methodology.