As a lot as I really like tacos, I actually love taco salad. The truth is, any time I make tacos for dinner, I normally have a taco salad for lunch the following day to make use of up any of the remaining elements. However in the present day’s taco salad isn’t simply any “kitchen sink” salad… what’s particular about this taco salad is the yummy shiitake-walnut “taco meat” that’s, effectively, the meat of the salad. Finely chopped sautéed mushrooms and floor walnuts tackle the feel of floor taco meat, whereas tamari, chili powder, and a contact of balsamic vinegar give it a savory/spiced taste. Mixed with crisp romaine, veggies, juicy tomatoes, crispy tortilla strips, and a dollop of avocado cilantro lime sauce, that is my favourite sort of salad to eat for lunch (or dinner) all summer time lengthy!
My Taco Salad Recipe Substances
To make an awesome taco salad, you want a mixture of textures & tastes – one thing creamy, one thing zesty, one thing crunchy, one thing tangy, and one thing crisp – throughout a lot of greens. Right here’s what I exploit to make this taco salad recipe so filling, contemporary & enjoyable:
- Romaine lettuce, as a result of it wouldn’t be a taco salad with no base of crispy greens!
- Shiitake Walnut Taco “Meat” and Black Beans, for savory, smoky taste and hearty texture
- Tomatoes and pico de gallo, for a juicy distinction to the crunchy veggies and tortilla strips
- Tortilla strips, for that impossible to resist toasted corn taste and crispy texture
- Purple cabbage and radishes, for brilliant pops of colour and additional crunch
- Jalapeño, for just a little warmth
- Sliced avocado & avocado cilantro lime salad dressing, for zingy, brilliant taste
A Few Taco Salad Suggestions
- I wish to make my very own tortilla strips by toasting corn tortillas within the oven. That approach, I can management how crispy they get and the way a lot oil I exploit. However if you happen to’re crunched for time, crushed tortilla chips may work too.
- In case you’re not a fan of spicy meals, be happy to depart out the jalapeño! You might additionally use pickled jalapeño for an additional tangy pop.
- In case you prep the parts forward of time and retailer them individually, this recipe is a superb alternative for a make-ahead lunch. Assemble the salad within the morning, and toss on the dressing and the avocado proper earlier than you’re able to eat! See this publish for extra of my finest lunch-packing suggestions.
Taco Salad Recipe Variations
Like all salad recipes, this one is nice to play with. Swap within the veggies you will have readily available or alter the toppings to make one thing you actually love. Listed below are some strategies:
- Swap the sauce. I really like topping this salad with huge dollops of avocado cilantro lime dressing, however any of the three variations of this sauce would work right here. Omit the avocado and serve it as a French dressing, or use Greek yogurt as a substitute of the avocado to make it creamy (see this publish for the variations). Or skip the dressing solely, and end the salad with tomatillo salsa.
- Change up the creamy element. I really like avocado right here, however guacamole is simply nearly as good. Alternatively, attempt including crumbled Cotija or grated cheddar cheese, a dollop of bitter cream, or Greek yogurt!
- Make it fruity. Substitute mango or pineapple salsa for the pico, or use each!
- Range the veggies. Uncooked or sautéed bell pepper, charred poblano, corn, or inexperienced onions would all be nice additions.
- Make it a burrito bowl! Scale back the lettuce by half and add a scoop of cilantro lime rice to the underside of your bowl.
In case you love this taco salad recipe…
Strive these veggie tacos, this burrito bowl, or these chipotle nachos subsequent!
Wholesome Taco Salad
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Salad
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- Additional-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 purple radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes and/or pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Jalapeno slices, non-obligatory
- Cilantro Lime Dressing (the creamy avocado variation)
- Sea salt
- Lime wedges, for serving
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- eight ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and diced
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the tortilla strips with a tiny little bit of olive oil and some pinches of salt. Unfold onto the sheet and bake for 10 to 14 minutes or till crispy.
- Make the Shiitake Taco “Meat”: In a medium skillet, warmth the olive oil over medium warmth. Add the mushrooms and cook dinner, stirring solely often, till they start to brown and soften, three to four minutes. Stir within the walnuts and flippantly toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir within the tamari and the chili powder. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir once more. Take away from the warmth and season with salt and pepper to style.
- Assemble the salad with the romaine lettuce, cabbage, black beans, taco meat, radishes, tomatoes, avocado, jalapenos, if utilizing, and beneficiant dollops of cilantro lime avocado dressing. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with lime wedges and additional dressing on the aspect.