Here is a basic, chewy Oatmeal Cookie! This was Grandma’s favourite oatmeal cookie recipe, made with oats, brown sugar, white sugar, flour, and shortening. Walnuts and raisins are optionally available.
Pictures Credit score:
I’ve been going by means of our household’s stash of recipes and got here throughout my grandmother’s oatmeal cookie recipe. She handed away a number of years in the past at age 97 (she was born in 1899).
It’s humorous how simply seeing my grandma’s handwriting conjures up outdated reminiscences of being a bit woman and making these scrumptious quaint oatmeal cookies together with her.
She had an actual candy tooth and we’re nonetheless amazed she lived so lengthy given her penchant for cookies, lemon meringue pie, and jelly-filled donuts.
My grandmother taught me easy methods to measure, easy methods to combine, and taught me a love of cooking, all by means of these do-it-yourself oatmeal cookies.
How Grandma Made Her Cookies
She used shortening (Crisco), not butter, which makes a extra tender, chewier cookie in my view, although I are likely to bake extra usually with butter than shortening.
Her oatmeal cookies normally included walnuts and raisins, although you’ll be able to skip both if you need.
Storing and Freezing Oatmeal Cookies
These baked oatmeal cookies will hold for a number of days in an hermetic container on the counter. In addition they freeze effectively.
- To freeze unbaked dough: Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Scoop out the uncooked cookie dough, simply as when you had been going to bake the cookies now, and prepare the scoops shut collectively on the cookie sheet. Freeze till the dough balls are stable, then switch them to a zip-top freezer bag and freeze for as much as a month. Bake as directed from frozen, including an additional minute or two to the cooking time.
- To freezer baked cookies: Stack a number of cookies on high of one another after which wrap tightly in foil. Repeat till all of the cookies are wrapped, then switch to a zip-top freezer bag and freeze for as much as a month. Thaw on the counter earlier than consuming.
Love cookies? Attempt these!
Up to date July 1, 2019 : We spiffed up this publish to make it sparkle. No modifications to the unique recipe.
Grandma’s Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 massive eggs, effectively crushed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- three cups old school rolled oats (we use Quaker Fast or Previous Common. Do NOT use immediate.)
- three/four cup chopped walnuts (use 1/2 cup if utilizing raisins)
- 1 cup raisins (optionally available)
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2 Make the cookie dough: Beat collectively the shortening and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat effectively.
Whisk collectively the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to sugar and egg combination and blend effectively. Add a tablespoon of water. Add raisins (if utilizing) and nuts. Add oats final.
three Bake: Spoon out by heaping tablespoonfuls on to greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F. Bake for 10 minutes. Take away to a wire rack.
four Cool fully. Cookies will hold for a number of days in an hermetic container on the counter.
Hi there! All images and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our images with out prior written permission. When you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your individual distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to Grandma’s Oatmeal Cookies on Merely Recipes. Thanks!
This publish might comprise hyperlinks to Amazon or different companions; your purchases by way of these hyperlinks can profit Merely Recipes.
Learn extra about our affiliate linking coverage.