I’m an enormous fan of DIY initiatives. Heck, I make my own deodorant. That’s why once we wanted a door for our workplace however the opening was a bizarre measurement so common doorways wouldn’t match, I made a decision to construct sliding barn doorways as an alternative.
DIY Sliding Barn Doorways
Barn doorways have grow to be wildly fashionable recently. Together with shiplap, they’re popping up in many homes. (Shiplap DIY coming quickly!). When common French doorways weren’t an possibility for our workplace, I knew I wished sliding barn doorways as an alternative.
However the door was an odd measurement so I couldn’t get them organized. And quotes from native contractors have been within the $2,00Zero-Three,00Zero vary!
I began researching DIY choices and realized that with and provides I may construct the doorways as an alternative for a number of hundred as an alternative of some thousand. And this was even with the additional value of that will enable one door to slip behind the opposite (which is what I wanted). For a single sliding barn door, the and provides are even cheaper and the entire mission would have been beneath $200.
It doesn’t matter what kind of doorways you need to construct, a number of hours and a few fundamental provides are all that you simply want!
Design Your Sliding Barn Doorways
First, you’ll want to determine what kind of sliding barn doorways you need. As an illustration, you could need to use stable wooden panels for a flat look and paint them to match your colour scheme. You may need to use shiplap boards (like I did) for a barn door kind impact. Or you may even repurpose a reclaimed or outdated door and simply connect to the .
After that, you’ll must determine if you would like a single sliding door or a double.
Single Sliding Barn Door
A single sliding door is straightforward and solely requires fundamental . The comes with directions for set up or see my tutorial beneath. Crucial step with a single door is to get the measurements of the boards appropriate so the door reaches the ground on the appropriate level.
Double Sliding Barn Doorways
Double sliding barn doorways may be constructed two methods:
- Facet-by-side sliding doorways– This implies you’ll have two sliding doorways on the identical observe that may open in the identical or reverse instructions relying on the dimensions of your observe. These may be full measurement or half measurement so that you’d have two doorways however they’d open in the midst of an everyday measurement door body and solely lengthen about 18 inches per facet.
- Bypass technique with one door behind the opposite– The configuration in my image above. Which means one door slides behind the opposite to preserve room. That is essentially the most difficult configuration of sliding barn doorways.
I’ve included directions based mostly on this meeting beneath with choices for single or facet by facet double doorways as properly.
Sliding Barn Door Provides
When you’ve found out what kind of doorways you need to construct you’ll want to determine what kind of fabric you need to use for the door itself.
Sliding Door Materials Choices:
- Use a reclaimed door of any kind that matches your area. Try secondhand constructing shops and Habitat for Humanity re-stores for cheap choices. To make issues a bit extra fancy you possibly can use chalk paint or milk paint to refinish.
- Use a chunk of stable wooden lower to the proper measurement and stained or painted in desired colour.
- Assemble a door of the proper measurement utilizing 1×four or 1×6 boards. On this case, you possibly can have the wooden go vertical or horizontal and create any kind of look you want.
- As a substitute of stable wooden, use thinner shiplap panels (accessible at most giant house enchancment shops) and assemble with stable wooden edges.
I selected to make use of pre-made shiplap boards as a result of they’re light-weight, not too thick and straightforward to assemble. The boards look like this, however get them at an area retailer… they’re so much cheaper!
I additionally used 1×eight boards for the highest and backside connectors and a 1×four for the diagonal cross piece. Since this was for my workplace, I additionally soundproofed the doorways with a layer of insulation and white fleece on the within to maintain noise down during podcast recording.
Sliding Barn Door
Now that you simply’ve found out the design and supplies to your door, you’ll want to seek out the matching :
- Single Sliding Door: For this, you’ll want a single door hardware kit within the appropriate size to your area. Basically, you’ll want to verify the door covers your door opening. You additionally must be sure that the observe is no less than twice so long as the door opening so the door can open totally. And the observe ought to lengthen on one facet of the door opening solely so the door can slide open and closed.
- Double Sliding Doorways: With this configuration, you’ll want a double sliding door hardware kit within the appropriate measurement. The observe must be twice the dimensions of your door opening. The distinction from a single door is that the observe facilities above the door opening so one door can open on all sides. This technique additionally works for someplace like a corridor the place you desire a sliding door to cowl a couple of opening and be capable of slide alongside a observe.
- Bypass Package: This is the type of kit I used and what you’ll want in the event you’re making an attempt to cowl a double door opening with doorways that slide behind each other. I solely had a restricted area on the wall and this was my solely possibility.
- Spoke Wheel Package: For a fancier look, a lot of the above configurations can be found with fancier spoke wheels.
To utterly your mission, you’ll additionally want no matter screws and you need to use to assemble your door in addition to any paint, stain or colour you propose to make use of.
For this mission, a cordless drill driver with each drill and phillips attachments. In case your door or wooden is just not the proper measurement you’ll additionally both want a noticed or to have the boards lower to measurement on the house enchancment retailer as you buy them.
Construct Sliding Barn Doorways
The precise means of constructing the doorways is fairly simple. Promise!
I constructed these whereas my hubby was out of city, however did have a secret weapon as a result of my dad was there to assist. That stated, I may have simply assembled these by myself, it simply would have taken longer with out two folks. Right here’s how I constructed these doorways with variations for any kind so you may observe alongside.
IMPORTANT: Earlier than you start, ensure you learn the directions and measurements in your particular . It’s good to ensure you have sufficient room between the highest of your door and the ceiling in your house to mount the . If not, you’ll must shorten the door which is simpler to do earlier than you construct it! I like to recommend sketching this out for finest outcomes.
Step 1: Assemble Doorways
This step might be totally different for all of us however the sky is the restrict. Reclaim some wooden or some time door. Use wooden from an outdated pallet, or construct your personal from new wooden.
By now, it’s best to have found out your measurement and design. Assemble the doorways within the appropriate measurement to your mission.
What I did: I used to be making an attempt to cowl a 5 foot opening however had simply over six toes of wall area. I created two doorways utilizing shiplap boards (eight toes lengthy and 5 inches extensive). Seven vertical boards per door made good 35 inch doorways for my area. Since I wanted 95 inch tall doorways, I simply needed to barely trim the tops of the boards to suit.
Then, I screwed the 2 1×eight boards on the highest and backside of every door to anchor the shiplap items collectively. For further help, I trimmed down a ten foot 1×four as a cross piece, which additionally created the barn door look.
Step 2: Paint or Stain Doorways (non-compulsory)
Now could be the time to color or stain the newly assembled door. After all, you may skip this step in the event you just like the unfinished look. I used a non-toxic white paint on mine. If you’d like the screws and to indicate like they do on mine, it’s price portray the boards individually first, assembling after which touching up for a clear look.
For those who like the country look, you may naturally distress wood using this method.
Step Three: Add to Door
Now, double and triple verify that the measurements are appropriate for the . Following the directions in your particular person , add the sliding wheels and brackets to the highest of your doorways. I added two curler brackets to the highest of every door.
Step four: Assemble Observe
Now, you’re able to put the observe on the wall! Measure twice to verify your placement. Connect the observe on the high, ensuring to securely mount in studs or use applicable anchors. For many single and double kits, it is a very easy and simple course of.
Honest warning, for the bypass doorways like mine, the method is extra concerned and it takes a few hours to verify all the things is mounted appropriately. All choices I linked to return with detailed directions for this complete course of.
Step 5: Cling the Door
Now for the second of reality! In case your measurements have been appropriate, all that’s left is to fastidiously cling the door on the observe.
Voilà! You now have sliding barn doorways at a a lot decrease value than in the event you purchased them and introduced your Pinterest barn door dreams to life!
For those who tried this tutorial or have questions, let me know within the feedback!