We use quite a lot of flowers round right here for functions aside from ornament, from calendula for skin to dandelions for iced dandelion lime tea. Whereas I take pleasure in a vase of contemporary flowers as a lot as the following particular person, the sensible aspect of me all the time needs for a technique to prolong the enjoyment.
I did a little analysis, and in consequence, listed here are 5 pure methods to protect flowers so their magnificence lasts for weeks (even months!).
Make Dried Flowers for Lasting Magnificence & Advantages
Sure, they’re fairly, however flowers produce other advantages. Science has proven flowers make us happier!
I could also be recognized for suggesting gifts other than flowers (ideally, experiences!), however there are tangible advantages to this widespread gesture. In 2005 researchers explored how flowers affect habits. Individuals who acquired flowers have been happier and had extra optimistic interactions with these round them. The flowers even positively affected the recipient’s reminiscence!
Contemporary flowers can get costly although! (I personally like to obtain potted vegetation because of this.) One different strategy although is to dry flowers to be able to protect them (and the optimistic feelings!). Dried flowers are one of many easiest and most basic methods to protect flowers and make the enjoyment final.
Which Flowers Work Greatest
Flowers which might be delicate can crumble extra simply when dried, so sturdy flowers work finest. Sunflowers and daisies normally lose their petals when dried, so that they’re not the perfect candidates for dried flowers.
Listed here are some flowers that work properly:
Tip: Flowers are finest preserved after they’re vibrant and earlier than they’re absolutely opened. Don’t’ wait till they’re dying!
Make Lovely Dried Flowers at Dwelling
There are three primary methods (that I do know of) to dry flowers: by hanging, by urgent, or in wax.
Possibility 1: Dry Flowers by Hanging
Professionals: Simple to do, little prep time. Superb methodology for flowers and herbs that could be used in tinctures.
Cons: Some fading and lack of colour. Will crumble simply if touched.
- Coat hanger
- Brown paper luggage (non-compulsory)
- Take away the leaves from the stem so the flowers dry higher.
- Organize the flowers in small bundles. House the flowers out so there’s sufficient airflow and the blooms aren’t smashed collectively.
- Tie twine across the flower stems and pull it tight. The stems will shrink some because the flowers dry.
- Tie the twine to a garments hanger. Every coat hanger will match about 2-Three flower bundles.
- Dangle the flowers in a heat, dry place for 2-Three weeks or till dry.
Ideas for Success:
- Moisture will forestall the flowers from drying correctly and might trigger them to get moldy.
- There needs to be air circulation, however be certain that there aren’t any breezes close by!
- Direct daylight causes the petal colour to fade. Protecting flowers with a paper bag whereas they’re drying will help. As soon as the flowers are tied, gently place the flower heads into an open paper bag and safe with some twine.
Storage and Shelf Life
Maintain the flowers away from direct daylight and defend them from gusts of wind. When saved correctly, dry flowers will final for years, if not indefinitely.
Possibility 2: Dry Flowers by Urgent
Professionals: Simple, low prep, and ideal for framing
Cons: Will lose the three-dimensional magnificence; solely works with sure flowers
This well-known methodology to protect flowers works finest on blooms which might be naturally extra flat. There are some inspiring wooden flower presses obtainable, however good old style books work simply as properly. In accordance with Higher Houses and Gardens, listed here are some flowers that work properly for urgent.
Flowers that work properly for urgent:
- Shrub roses
- Miniature roses
Pressed Flowers Provides
- Heavy books or flower press
- Absorbent paper (newspaper, common printer paper, and so forth. NOT wax paper or paper towels)
Pressed Flowers Directions
- Snip the stems from the flowers as near the bottom as doable.
- Lay a sheet of paper on the pages of the guide. Organize the flowers on the paper so that they don’t contact one another.
- Lay one other sheet of paper on high, then shut the guide or flower press.
- Stack heavy books on high and go away it’s for a number of weeks.
Storage and Shelf Life
Pressed flowers will final indefinitely when saved correctly. Maintain them away from extreme warmth, moisture, and direct daylight. The flowers could be displayed in a glass body, or laminated for issues like bookmarks.
Possibility Three: Protect Flowers in Wax
Professionals: Lasts indefinitely and preserves colour higher than the opposite strategies
Cons: Time-intensive and could be finicky; extra to wash up.
I exploit beeswax in all the pieces from homemade deodorant to non-toxic candles. Seems it’s additionally useful for preserving flowers. Paraffin wax is usually used to wax flowers. Nonetheless, like petroleum jelly, paraffin is a by-product of oil refining so I want to skip it. Soy wax is commonly used, however it comes from extremely refined GMO crops (positively not eco-friendly), so it’s additionally on my no checklist. In order that leaves us with beeswax.
Wax Flowers Provides
- Beeswax (about 1 cup)
- Large mouth Mason Jar
- Steel Spoon
Wax Flowers Directions
- Fill the pot half filled with water and place it over medium/excessive warmth on the range.
- Put the beeswax into the jar and place the jar within the water.
- Stir sometimes with a spoon till absolutely melted.
- Shortly dip the flower into the wax, ensuring it’s absolutely submerged.Massive flowers like roses want extra wax than one thing like daisies.
- Pull the flower up out of the wax, however preserve the top nonetheless within the jar: give it a spin so the surplus wax comes off.
- Dry flowers upright for a number of hours till hardened.
Ideas for Success:
This methodology is a bit trickier than the others and takes some trial and error.
- The wax needs to be sizzling sufficient to easily coat the petals, however not so sizzling it cooks them.
- The wax made the pink and crimson flowers duller and pale. Nonetheless the strategy works superbly for leaves, yellow, and orange-toned flowers.
- Flowers with petals that aren’t tight collectively work finest (flowers needs to be fully bloomed and open). Delicate flowers that gained’t maintain as much as the warmth of the wax are additionally a poor alternative.
Storage and Shelf Life
Waxed flowers will final about 1-Four weeks, though some individuals have reported theirs have lasted for years. Maintain them out of direct daylight.
Enjoyable Makes use of for Dried Flowers
Listed here are some concepts to make use of dried flowers:
- Mount pressed flowers in an image body and hold them like artwork. Frames which might be clear glass on each side work properly for this!
- Put pressed flowers on some scrapbook paper to make a bookmark. Cowl it in touch paper or laminate.
- Organize and put in shadow bins (these are like image frames however a lot thicker for big gadgets).
- Make a wreath with dried flowers to hold within the house.
- You can also make handmade paper from paper scraps and add flower petals for colour.
- Decorate gifts by tying with some twine and tucking dried flowers within the twine.
- Pressed flowers may even be used to brighten a smartphone. Merely organize the flowers on the cellphone again, then snap a transparent cellphone cowl over them.
- Reminiscence books and scrapbooks are one other technique to preserve pressed flowers. Make sure you use very flat blooms and canopy them with modge podge, contact paper, or one thing related so that they don’t crumble on the web page.
Have you ever ever dried flowers earlier than? What are some methods you employ the dried blooms?
Haviland-Jones, J., Rosario, H. H., Wilson, P., & McGuire, T. R. (2005). An Environmental Strategy to Constructive Emotion: Flowers. Evolutionary Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1177/147470490500300109