Making candied bacon is a kind of a-ha moments—why did not I ever do that earlier than? The magic occurs within the oven and solely takes half an hour. Eat it as is, crumble it over salad, or use it to garnish a Bloody Mary. We needn’t let you know what to do with bacon, proper?
Images Credit score:
Candied Bacon. Addictive Bacon. Sugar Bacon. These are all names that I’ve seen on the menus of well-liked brunch locations promoting three strips of this bacon for an embarrassingly excessive value.
The excellent news: You’ll be able to simply make it at residence!
Higher information: It actually is scrumptious and all the opposite superlative adjectives that folks put in entrance of it!
The even higher information: It solely has two elements. Yay!
What Is Candied Bacon?
Candied bacon is an excellent meals that mixes salty, candy, and crispy. If made appropriately, the bacon has crispy edges and a crackly crust from the caramelized sugar on high.
And to make it appropriately it is advisable bake the bacon, which we are going to do!
Two-Ingredient Candied Bacon
In the end, you solely want two elements for candied bacon: bacon and sugar. However there are a lot of variations you can simply make after you have the essential approach down!
- For the bacon, I favor a basic strip bacon, not thick-cut. The thick-cut takes too lengthy to get crispy, however you possibly can use it in the event you like chewier bacon.
- For the sugar, I favor gentle brown sugar. Plain granulated sugar doesn’t caramelize as properly, and darkish brown sugar has an excessive amount of molasses in it. You might additionally use a rough sugar resembling turbinado in the event you needed a little bit additional texture in your bacon. For me, although, simply basic gentle brown sugar is the way in which to go.
- You positively shouldn’t use any sugar substitutes for this recipe. They gained’t caramelize the identical method or type a crunchy crust.
Combine It Up!
Upon getting these two fundamentals picked, you possibly can actually begin to be experimental with different flavors and toppings.
Let your thoughts run wild right here. I’ve made candied bacon with maple syrup combined with the brown sugar (that model is supplied beneath within the recipe as a substitute), however you possibly can additionally use honey or stir in some spices or different seasonings.
Sriracha? Sure. Black pepper? Yep. Dried herbs resembling rosemary? Completely!
Suggestions for Making Candied Bacon
There are a number of methods to creating candied bacon at residence.
- First, you must bake it. Making an attempt to sweet bacon in a skillet is simply going to result in a multitude, and the bacon gained’t keep in good strips.
- Second, to get actually crispy and evenly cooked items, it helps to raise the bacon so air can flow into. I like to recommend inserting the bacon on an oven-safe wire rack positioned over a foil-lined baking sheet. The wire rack will assist the bacon prepare dinner and get crispy, and the foil will make for simpler cleanup! Situate the strips perpendicular to the wire rack so the bacon doesn’t fall by because it cooks.
- Third, modify the baking time as wanted. Relying on the bacon you employ, you could want longer or shorter baking instances. I might begin checking the bacon at 18 to 20 minutes, and it’d want as much as 25 minutes to get actually crispy.
- Lastly, when the bacon comes out, make sure to let it cool earlier than consuming it. That is the exhausting half. The sugar on the bacon is principally molten and in the event you chew into it proper out of the oven, your tongue will remorse it!
What to Do with Candied Bacon?
I like to recommend consuming it! Ha! You’ll be able to serve it as a facet dish to virtually any brunch. You’ll be able to chop it up and serve it with toothpicks for an appetizer. You’ll be able to stick it on a Bloody Mary Bar, or crumble it on high of a basic wedge salad! Go loopy with it!
MORE DELICIOUS WAYS TO ENJOY BACON!
The best way to Make Candied Bacon
This recipe is definitely doubled. Area the bacon as carefully collectively as you possibly can on the 2 baking sheets. It is okay in the event that they contact in locations, however do not allow them to overlap.
MAPLE BACON ALTERNATIVE: As a substitute for the usual recipe, stir two tablespoons of maple syrup into the brown sugar and brush this onto the bacon earlier than baking. Bake simply as you’d the traditional model.
- 12 strips bacon (not thick-cut, about one pound)
- 1/four cup gentle brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper (optionally available)
- 2 baking sheets
- 2 oven-safe wire racks
1 Prep the bacon: Preheat oven to 375° F. Line two baking sheets with foil, and place an oven-safe wire rack on every. Lay out the bacon strips perpendicular to the traces on the wire rack, divided between the 2 pans and ensuring they don’t overlap. (In the event you lay them out parallel to the rack, the bacon might fall by the cracks whereas cooking!)
Sprinkle the bacon strips with brown sugar and (optionally) add some freshly floor black pepper. I like to make use of about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar per bacon strip, spreading it out alongside the size of the strip.
2 Bake the candied bacon: Bake the bacon within the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. I like to recommend rotating the pans as soon as throughout baking to make sure the bacon is cooking evenly. Begin checking the bacon round 18 minutes, as some slices will prepare dinner sooner, relying on the fats content material and thickness of the slices.
The bacon is completed when the brown sugar is melted and the bacon is a deep brown coloration. Do not forget that the bacon will proceed to crisp up because it cools, so don’t fear if it’s not fully crispy now.
three Cool the bacon: Let the bacon cool proper on the wire rack for a couple of minutes. (In the event you eat it instantly, you will burn your mouth on the molten sugar.) The bacon will crisp up because it cools and because the melted sugar hardens. Then serve!
four Retailer the bacon: Candied bacon will be saved within the fridge for a number of days and reheats properly in a skillet over low warmth.
I don’t suppose candied bacon is value freezing, though in the event you made an enormous batch you completely might. You might simply need to be certain that to freeze the strips individually in order that they didn’t stick collectively.
Hey! All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. In the event you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your individual distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to The best way to Make Candied Bacon on Merely Recipes. Thanks!
Merchandise We Love
This publish might comprise hyperlinks to Amazon or different companions; your purchases by way of these hyperlinks can profit Merely Recipes.
Learn extra about our affiliate linking coverage.