This simple vegan cashew cream is a scrumptious dairy-free various to bitter or heavy cream! It is creamy, versatile, tangy, and shiny. What’s to not love?
In case you’re all in favour of consuming extra plant-based recipes, cashew cream might be your new greatest buddy. It’s simple to make, it requires simply 6 elements, and it’s each bit as wealthy and creamy as bitter or heavy cream. I really like so as to add it to creamy vegan pasta sauces, prime it onto baked potatoes, serve it over burrito bowls, and extra!
My vegan cashew cream recipe makes use of primary elements. Uncooked cashews make it thick and creamy, water helps it mix, extra-virgin olive oil provides richness, and lemon juice, garlic, and salt give it a shiny, tangy taste. To make it, simply add the elements to a blender, and puree till easy. Scrape down the edges of the blender canister, as wanted, to verify the whole lot is completely mixed. Then, get pleasure from!
Cashew Cream Suggestions
- Use uncooked, not roasted, cashews. Roasted cashews will give the cream a nutty, cashew-y taste. Although I really like cashews, that’s not what we’re going for right here. In contrast, uncooked cashews yield a impartial creamy style, which is scrumptious in all kinds of savory recipes.
- To soak or to not soak? That’s the query, and the reply is determined by your blender. If in case you have a high-speed blender, there’s no must soak cashews. Nonetheless, when you have a much less highly effective blender, I do advocate soaking cashews for at the very least four hours. Simply place the cashews in a bowl, cowl them with water, and set them apart. After they’ve soaked, drain and rinse the cashews and proceed with the recipe beneath. In any other case, your cream might be grainy.
- Spend money on a high-powered blender. In case you’re somebody who plans to make home made fundamentals like cashew cream often, getting a strong blender is completely value it. You’ll have the ability to create plant-based milks and sauces at a second’s discover, and so they’ll be creamier than they’d be with one other blender, no matter whether or not or not you soak any nuts forward of time. I take advantage of a Vitamix, however I’ve additionally heard good issues about high-speed Blendtec and KitchenAid blenders.
Cashew Bitter Cream Recipes
My cashew cream recipe varies relying on how I plan to make use of it. The essential recipe beneath makes use of a 2:1 ratio of cashews to water, which yields a texture much like bitter cream or Greek yogurt. I drizzle this thick cashew cream over bowls, salads, vegan pizza, and extra. As you possibly can see beneath, if I’m planning to make use of it as a bitter cream substitute, I amp up the flavour with white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and onion powder. Attempt it in any of those recipes:
Cashew Cream Variations
I additionally like to make use of cashew cream as a dairy-free alternative for heavy cream. Then, I take advantage of a decrease cashew:water ratio, which makes a runnier cream sauce. It’s not as thick because the bitter cream above, but it surely’s nonetheless richer and creamier than cashew milk. It’s a scrumptious addition to my Herb and Garlic Mushroom Pasta, Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells, and different pasta recipes.
Sometimes, I take advantage of my primary recipe to create a creamy sauce with a wholly completely different taste profile. For instance, I mix cashew cream with baked candy potato and rosemary to make a luscious, fragrant sauce for my Twice Baked Candy Potatoes with Broccoli.
Be at liberty to play with the bottom recipe beneath to make a sauce you’re keen on! Alter the cashew:water ratio to succeed in your required consistency. Then, attempt including dietary yeast to offer it a tacky taste, lime juice as a substitute of lemon, contemporary herbs, spinach, or a pinch of your favourite spice.
Extra Favourite Sauces and Spreads
In case you love this recipe, attempt making one among these scrumptious sauces or spreads subsequent!
This simple vegan cashew cream is a scrumptious dairy-free substitute for bitter cream! In case you choose a texture nearer to heavy cream, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to succeed in your required consistency.
- 1 cup uncooked cashews*
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Cashew Bitter Cream
- Exchange 1 tablespoon lemon juice with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Add ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Add ¼ teaspoon onion powder
Place the cashews, water, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt in a high-speed blender and mix till fully easy and creamy.
For Cashew Bitter Cream, make the cashew cream recipe changing 1 tablespoon lemon juice with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and add the mustard and onion powder for additional tang.
*Cashew cream is greatest made in a high-speed blender, like a Vitamix. If in case you have a much less highly effective blender, you will have to mix longer (as much as 1 minute). You can even soak the cashews for four hours or in a single day to melt and make them simpler to mix.