There’s the dream of freezer burritos, after which there’s the actuality of freezer burritos. So many freezer burritos find yourself being a disappointment, however with the suitable mixture of fillings and the perfect reheating technique, you really can make fairly darn good freezer burritos that may make for a fast and simple weeknight dinner afterward.
In fact, it stays to be seen if little youngsters (like mine) will really eat a burrito. In the event that they don’t, then they could should discover a totally different home to stay in. (Kidding, kidding!)
So, go on and cancel that Chipotle supply, and let’s learn to make one of the best burrito filling, wrap these burritos tightly, freeze them nicely, and reheat them into scrumptious meals!
WHAT MAKES A GOOD FREEZER BURRITO?
Right here’s what it takes to make a extremely good freezer burrito:
- Numerous protein, like rooster and beans
- Some starch to absorb any additional liquid, like cilantro rice
- Some greens, like peppers and onions.
Be happy so as to add your favourite proteins and greens to the combination!
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID: Avocado or non-cheese dairy, like bitter cream. These elements is not going to freeze and reheat nicely. As a substitute, add these to the highest after you reheat your burritos!
HOW TO MAKE FREEZER CHICKEN BURRITOS
Listed below are my ideas for making nice burritos with the intention of freezing:
- Cook dinner the elements individually. Don’t add the peppers, rice, and rooster all collectively right into a single large pot after which wrap it up. It’s higher to cook dinner issues individually to make sure they’re all cooked appropriately. Then you may layer them within the tortilla.
- Use flour tortillas. They actually make one of the best burritos.
- Heat your tortillas earlier than rolling them. Microwaving them for 15 seconds will make them extra versatile and simpler to work with.
- No avocado or dairy (apart from cheese). They don’t freeze nicely.
- For kid-sized burritos, use smaller Eight-inch tortillas. You’ll get about 4 small burritos for a similar elements as one giant one!
TROUBLESHOOTING FREEZER BURRITOS
- My tortilla received’t fold! In case your tortillas are rigid and troublesome to fold, wrap them in just a few damp paper towels and microwave for 15-20 seconds. It will make the tortillas actually versatile.
- My filling is popping out! Don’t use as a lot filling. I do know in the event you go to a burrito place they utterly stuff the burritos, however our purpose right here is to make a burrito that’s utterly sealed. You possibly can all the time high the burritos with extras when you reheat them!
HOW TO FREEZE YOUR BURRITOS
After you’ve added all of the fillings to your burrito, roll it into a good cylinder, folding over the ends to maintain it contained, and wrap the burrito tightly in foil. As soon as all of your burritos are rolled and wrapped, retailer them in a plastic freezer-safe container, like a Ziploc, for 3 to 6 months.
THE BEST WAY TO REHEAT FROZEN BURRITOS
Is there something extra miserable than spending good money and time making a batch of freezer burritos, solely to be disenchanted if you reheat them? Simply microwaving the burritos will heat the filling, however the tortillas shall be soggy and never nice.
Right here’s how you need to do it as an alternative:
- Unwrap the burrito from the foil and microwave it on defrost for seven minutes per aspect. It will thaw and barely heat the fillings.
- Then place the burrito in a nonstick skillet over medium warmth, and cook dinner it for a couple of minutes per aspect till it begins to brown and crisp up.
This technique melts the cheese and warms the filling but in addition provides you a crispy, scrumptious tortilla!
You may as well reheat frozen burritos within the oven! Simply maintain them wrapped in foil, warmth in a 400˚F oven for 45 minutes, then unwrap the burritos and return them to the oven for 5-10 minutes minutes to crisp up the tortilla.
The DAD ADD: PICKLED JALAPEÑO GUACAMOLE
As I discussed, I’m not a fan of freezing avocado within the burritos, however I do love guacamole with my burritos. This Pickled Jalapeño Guacamole is an ideal shortcut guac. It solely has just a few elements, however the pickled jalapeños add a lot to the guacamole: salt, some tangy acidic flavors, and a few spicy notes!
THE REPORT CARD:
My baby threw the burrito at me … and therein ended my burrito experiment, as a result of he instantly needed to go sit in timeout whereas I ate my burrito in peace.
I hope that your kids are extra open to the concept of deliciousness wrapped in tortillas, however for now, my kids couldn’t be much less . Regardless that they love the entire fillings on their very own, wrapped in a tortilla is a no-go for some purpose.
Worst case situation, even when this doesn’t work out to be an excellent household meal, it’s positively an excellent mum or dad meal! Straightforward-to-reheat burritos are all the time a good suggestion for busy mother and father.