This fall, skip the canned pumpkin and learn to make pumpkin puree at dwelling with contemporary pumpkin (or squash)! It is scrumptious, straightforward, and enjoyable to make.
There are many nice causes to know easy methods to make pumpkin puree at dwelling, even when you’ll find it in a can.
Why make home made pumpkin puree?
- You reside in a rustic the place pumpkin puree will not be out there in cans however you continue to need to partake in all the yummy fall pumpkin recipes which can be throughout the web and Instagram.
- You bought overzealous on the farmers market as a result of the pumpkin was so cute and fall trying, and also you didn’t understand you’d have at the very least 20 kilos/9 kilos of squash to take care of. (pictured under)
- You bought all the elements to make this soup (yay!!), and now you’ve gotten numerous squash left over.
- As a result of typically it’s simply enjoyable to make one thing from scratch, like home made hummus or pizza dough, regardless that there are completely good variations out there on the retailer.
So right here we go, let’s bake!
Easy methods to Make Pumpkin Puree
First, scoop out the pumpkin seeds and roast the squash on a baking sheet till fork tender.
As soon as cooled, scoop the flesh from the pores and skin and run it via a meals processor till it’s easy.
Relying on the number of squash you utilize, the consistency of your puree could also be extra watery than that of a canned puree. If you happen to’re making pumpkin pie, you would possibly need to pressure the surplus liquid by letting it sit in a positive mesh strainer (or cheesecloth) over a bowl for 30 minutes. In baking recipes like these cookies or my favourite pumpkin bread, I merely use about 2 tablespoons much less liquid (much less oil within the cookies, much less almond milk within the bread).
Observe: once I used buttercup squash, my puree was a lot thicker.
Easy methods to use pumpkin puree?
Refrigerate any leftovers for later. They will also be saved within the freezer for as much as a month!
If you happen to beloved this vegetable how-to submit, take a look at my suggestions for roasting spaghetti squash, one of the best ways to roast a candy potato, straightforward zucchini noodles, and easy methods to make cauliflower rice
Home made Pumpkin Puree
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Cooking part
- 1 pumpkin or giant squash: a sugar pumpkin, cheese pumpkin (pictured), buttercup squash, butternut squash, or kabocha squash. Keep away from giant Halloween carving pumpkins as a result of their flesh is simply too fibrous for a gentle puree.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and place minimize facet down on the baking sheet. (Observe: within the photos mine is minimize into quarters as a result of I had already minimize into it when making this soup).
- Roast for 40 minutes or till the flesh is gentle and a fork simply slides in. Let cool for about 1 hour. Use your palms to peel the flesh from the pores and skin and place in a meals processor. Puree till easy, letting your meals processor run for a couple of minute, stopping to scrape down the perimeters as wanted.
- Switch to containers and chill till prepared to make use of.