My husband eats two bananas a day. Day by day. With out fail. Typically my children additionally eat numerous bananas. Nevertheless, as quickly as I improve the banana provide getting into my home, the youngsters declare allegiance to apples, and my husband will get a chilly.
Abruptly, I’m staring down a bowl of noticed, overripe fruit. Banana Bread to the rescue!
I usually make two or three loaves at a time. I maintain one loaf on the counter to take pleasure in over the subsequent few days and freeze the remaining loaves for a day after I want breakfast, or firm is coming over.
Immediately, I’m sharing a number of suggestions and tips for storing, freezing, and thawing banana bread so it’s as contemporary because the day you made it.
HOW TO STORE FRESH BAKED BANANA BREAD
One of the best place to retailer banana bread you’re planning to eat immediately is on the countertop. By no means retailer it within the fridge. A fridge circulates cool air, which removes moisture and may prematurely dry breads and muffins.
Place your cooled loaf on a plate and canopy it in plastic wrap, or retailer it in an hermetic container. Retailer it for as much as 4 days in your counter.
HOW LONG DOES BANANA BREAD LAST?
Banana bread can maintain for as much as 4 days in your counter earlier than you start to note modifications in texture. When day 5 – 6 rolls round, the bread will start to dry out, however it’s going to nonetheless be effective to eat. Pop a slice within the toaster, and you’ll by no means know the distinction.
Should you discover mould, it’s time play like Elsa and “Let it Go.”
Banana bread will maintain within the freezer till the tip of time, nevertheless it’s at its greatest when used inside three or 4 months. It’s nonetheless edible after that timeframe, nevertheless it’s prone to develop freezer burn when saved for much longer, and that may influence the style and texture.
HOW TO FREEZE BANANA BREAD
You’ll be able to freeze slices, half loaves, or complete loaves. I want to wrap loaves and slices in foil, place them in a zip-top bag, take away as a lot air as I can, then freeze for as much as 4 months. I discover that this is sufficient to maintain freezer burn away. (Additionally, you may reuse each the foil and the bag, yay!)
When testing the most effective methods to wrap and freeze the bread, I used plastic wrap by itself, plastic wrap and foil, and simply foil. All variations had been additionally positioned in a zip-top bag. I didn’t discover any distinction between the textures or style of the bread with any of those, so use what you may have readily available.
- The right way to Freeze Slices: Double wrap every slice individually in foil then put the wrapped slices in a zip-top bag. I double wrap slices as a result of extra of the bread’s floor is uncovered, which may dry out simpler than an entire loaf. Take away as a lot air from the bag as doable with out squishing the bread. Place the bag within the freezer and take away slices as wanted for a ready-made breakfast.
- The right way to Freeze a Half Loaf: Slice the cooled loaf in half. Wrap it in foil. Place the foil wrapped loaf in a zip-top bag, take away as a lot air as doable, and place it within the freezer.
- To Freeze a Entire Loaf: Wrap the entire loaf in aluminum foil. Retailer it in a zip-top bag. Squeeze as a lot air out as you may with out smooshing the bread. Plop it within the freezer and reserve it for a wet day. Or a sunny day. Any day, actually.
HOW TO THAW BANANA BREAD
It’s straightforward to thaw banana bread both on the countertop or within the oven. All of it will depend on the period of time you may have.
- The right way to Thaw Slices: Take away a pre-wrapped slice of banana bread and depart it on the countertop for about 20 to 30 minutes. To hurry up the method, unwrap the bread and zap it within the microwave for about 30 seconds. Should you had been my husband (or should you identical to crispy edges) you’d additionally put it within the toaster.
- To Thaw a Half Loaf: When you may have a hankering for banana bread take away it from the zip-top bag and let it thaw on the counter for two hours.
- The right way to Thaw a Entire Loaf: When you’ve decided right this moment is the day you should eat banana bread, pat your self on the again. It’s going to be day. Then, take away the loaf from the zip-top bag, however maintain the loaf within the foil. (Save the bag for freezing pancakes.) Depart the loaf on the counter, go write some letters to an outdated buddy or two. Return 4 hours later to seek out thawed banana bread prepared so that you can eat.
HOW TO “QUICK” THAW A HALF OR FULL LOAF
Endurance could also be advantage, however banana bread is a relentless temptress. Should you simply can’t watch for the frozen banana bread to thaw on the countertop, otherwise you’re craving the candy aroma of bananas and sugar wafting by your house, thaw banana bread within the oven.
Take away the half or complete loaf from the zip-top bag, however maintain the foil on. Place it instantly on the rack of your oven. Flip the oven to 350°F and set your timer: 40 minutes for a half loaf, or 90 minutes for an entire loaf. The bread will thaw because the oven warms and involves temp.
Take away the bread from the oven, and let it stand within the foil for 10 minutes. This permits residual warmth to proceed thawing the bread.
When it’s cool sufficient to deal with, unwrap it, slice it, and slather it with butter. Mmmm, butter.
OUR FAVORITE BANANA BREAD RECIPES!
Want some banana bread proper now?! Strive any of those nice recipes: