Durations can be a big problem. However not for the explanations TV commercials attempt to persuade us they’re.
Certain, some girls have uncomfortable and painful durations (see information on that on the backside of this submit), however there are another massive issues with the “norm” in the case of durations. Primarily:
Dangers of Tampons and Pads
Most female hygiene choices like pads and tampons include dangerous chemical compounds and pesticides that aren’t good basically. Whereas unhealthy, they’re particularly problematic for the fragile and extremely vascular space just like the vagina. With as soon as a month use for all of a girl’s child-bearing years, the chemical publicity builds up!
There are additionally well being considerations like Poisonous Shock Syndrome (TSS) from tampons.
Unhealthy for the Planet
Well being ramifications apart, choices like pads and tampons aren’t good for the planet. Every girl will use an estimated 16,000 pads or tampons in her lifetime. These merchandise find yourself in landfills, taking years and years to interrupt down.
Most additionally include plastic, which isn’t good for humans, however can be fairly horrible for the setting too.
Let me guess, proper now, you could be considering that you’re only one individual and also you solely contribute a small variety of pads or tampons to the landfills.
However do you know:
Annually, greater than 12 BILLION sanitary pads and seven BILLION tampons are dumped into landfills?
A median girl menstruates for over 40 years, leaving a whole bunch of kilos of disposable merchandise in landfills.
Pure Interval & Tampon Options (That Work Higher)
Happily, there are some nice, natural and inexperienced options to poisonous, plastic containing disposables now. Most girls shell out $5-14 per cycle on disposable merchandise, so these choices can save some huge cash over time!
For those who haven’t already, contemplate switching to one in every of these. Not solely are they more healthy… however all of those choices work higher and are extra snug than conventional pads and tampons. Plus you’ll lower your expenses too! A win:win for certain!
It took me some time to strive these, however I’m so glad I did! Right here’s my assessment of standard manufacturers:
The Diva Cup
As you could collect from its title, the Diva Cup is a silicone cup that’s inserted vaginally and it takes the place of tampons and pads throughout your interval. There are two sizes, one for pre-childbearing years and one for after you’ve had a child (or two or three or six…).
In contrast to tampons, there isn’t a hazard of Poisonous Shock Syndrome with the Diva Cup (or any menstrual cup) and it’s utterly reusable. It may be boiled to sanitize or washed with ingesting water. Many ladies additionally report that it’s rather more snug, and most solely have to alter it each Eight-12 hours, which is extra handy.
The Diva Cup was the unique, however there at the moment are dozens of nice menstrual cup choices. Just lately I needed to buy one other menstrual cup once I was touring and forgot to pack my Diva Cup. I got this Luna Cup and I’ve to say I truly prefer it a little bit higher than the Diva Cup.
I must also put in my private plug for menstrual cups basically. I’ll admit, once I first discovered about them, I believed they had been odd and couldn’t think about utilizing one. Now, I can’t think about not utilizing one. I’ve worn them in a single day, on worldwide flights, whereas scuba diving, whereas climbing 20+ miles, and in lots of different uncommon conditions. I’ve by no means had a leak or an issue and it has by no means been uncomfortable. Actually.
The truth is, since my durations are fairly gentle, I solely must dump the cup as soon as a day, which is tremendous handy. In some ways, I don’t even discover being on my interval now as I can go from fitness center to swimming to mattress with out having to alter something.
The primary couple of makes use of it does take a little bit getting used to, however after that, it actually is less complicated. Give them a strive if you happen to haven’t already!
Suggestions for Utilizing a Menstrual Cup
Right here’s the cheat sheet I want I’d had on tips on how to use a menstrual cup with out the training curve:
- Fold it first. There are dozens of how to fold a menstrual cup to make it simpler to insert. I squeeze mine in half after which fold it right into a “C” form so it simply pops again open as soon as inserted.
- Insert Like a tampon. Insert the folded cup like a tampon, angling it to the again of the backbone. Be sure that it absolutely unfolds to create a light-weight suction. This suction retains it from leaking. Test this by working your finger alongside the aspect to verify it has unfolded utterly. Pull down barely if wanted to make it extra snug.
- Find out how lengthy. How lengthy you’ll be able to put on a cup depends upon how heavy your cycle is. The excellent news is that many ladies discover their cycles get lighter and simpler after they begin utilizing a cup. Like I mentioned, I can put on mine for 24 hours, however the common appears to be about 12.
- Take away, clear and reuse. Wash your palms rather well and pull down on the stem of the menstrual cup to launch it. When you’ve pulled it down barely, gently push on one aspect to launch the suction and punctiliously take away. Empty into the bathroom and wash properly with heat water earlier than reinserting.
- When doubtful, flip inside out. It is a tip I discovered from my midwife. Whether it is uncomfortable or you may have bother with leaks, flip the cup inside out. It really works like a appeal, and is absolutely snug this fashion. It’s barely more durable to take away, so simply use your pelvic floor muscles to softly push it right down to take away it.
Fabric Menstrual Pads
If a menstrual cup shouldn’t be your factor, there are additionally a variety of choices for material menstrual pads. These are extra snug than plastic based mostly pads! They’ve a water-resistant liner in order that they don’t leak via garments and are washable so they’re eco-friendly too.
My favorites are these handmade cloth menstrual pads from a local family-owned business (they will ship them worldwide!). They’re handmade by busy midwives and are nice material pads which have lasted me for years and years!
Natural Menstrual Pads
If the thought of a menstrual cup or material pads isn’t your factor, it’s potential to seek out natural disposable tampons or disposable pads so you’ll be able to a minimum of keep away from the chemical compounds within the typical variations.
Sea Sponge Tampons
One other nice utterly pure choice is Sea Sponge tampons. They work equally to a Diva Cup and gather move. When eliminated, they are often simply rinsed out a re-used. These are the ones I’ve tried. I personally discovered them much less snug than material pads or a cup although.
Pure Interval Ache Aid
Tylenol and different acetaminophen-based ache aid choices are chemically based mostly and emerging research is finding that they are toxic to your mitochondria (you want these little guys!). Fortunately, there are a variety of pure choices out that, and you can too tackle the underlying drawback and never simply masks the ache.
- Vitex – A fertility assist that additionally helps ease menstrual cramps by balancing hormones. Additionally it is utilized by herbalists for growing fertility, although it must be discontinued when a girl turns into pregnant. When not pregnant, it may be taken every day in capsule form or tincture form. For a full rationalization of vitex and its advantages, see this post.
- Purple Clover – One other herb that’s supportive of menstrual well being and performance. It has been recognized to ease endometriosis and PCOS and is useful for cramps. It must also be discontinued when a girl turns into pregnant. When not pregnant, it may be taken every day. I’ve tried this brand.
- Progesterone Cream – A pure progesterone cream is maybe one of the best treatment, long-term for a lot of menstrual issues. I’ve had many consumers conceive by including progesterone to their routine, and it additionally helps ease cramps. Many menstrual issues will be brought about or exacerbated by an excessive amount of estrogen within the physique, and progesterone helps stability it out. If used, it ought to solely be used within the second half of the cycle (ovulation till begin of the interval) and utilized to the pores and skin of fatty areas of the physique just like the thighs, buttocks, abdomen, breasts and higher arms. I’ve used this brand previously however lately switched to this one on Dr. Anna Cabeca’s suggestion on this podcast.
- Magnesium – Taking magnesium frequently may additionally actually assist ease cramps (and there are a variety of different advantages to taking magnesium too!) My favourite model by far is that this time-release formula. Learn extra about magnesium in this post.
Do you may have any pure suggestions for coping with female well being? Ever used any of the options above? Please let me know beneath!