Hellooooo! I’m alive, I’m alive! Did you suppose after my 10-year blogiversary submit that I made a decision to take a 10-year break? lol. It’s been a busy month with lots of enjoyable occasions happening. I simply returned from WXN’s Canada’s Most Powerful Women celebrations, and I’m nonetheless driving the excessive of successful an award within the Entrepreneur class and assembly so many unbelievable folks. So many glad tears this week. It felt (and feels) completely surreal. I’m tremendous impressed by these superb Canadian girls to maintain going ahead, doing my half to offer again, and creating significant change on this world. I’m grateful to you all who assist me and what I do…really, thanks.
Right here’s a snippet of the interview I did with WXN (the remaining is discovered on their web site):
“SUCCESS all comes again to like. Do I really feel love deep in my soul for what I’m doing? Are my children and my husband glad and cherished? Am I taking time to benefit from the course of quite than permitting perfectionist considering to take maintain? My definition of success has grown a lot since beginning the weblog, writing my two cookbooks, and turning into a mom. As we speak, success is understanding that I’ve the facility to push by challenges whereas taking the time I want for myself to steadiness and keep wholesome. After battling sickness this previous yr, one among my greatest wake-up calls was realizing that it’s okay to take a break even when which means letting go of knowledgeable objective in the intervening time.”
As an introvert, huge social occasions are likely to tucker me out (anybody else?!), and I discover myself wanting ahead to my first day with none commitments (other than, umm, two hyper toddlers, I suppose…). This creamy Three-ingredient steel-cut oatmeal recipe is the one I’ve been making a couple of times weekly since fall hit. It could sound unusual, however I discover it calming in a means. I simply love that I can throw a couple of substances in my Instant Pot, stir it up, and stroll away till it’s completed cooking! No stirring or watching…woot, woot. I’ll usually throw it on after which prepare for the day or feed the children and are available again to a sizzling pot of oats. It’s an excellent feeling…a darn good feeling!
Don’t fear when you don’t have an Instantaneous Pot as a result of I additionally present a stovetop model beneath—your oatmeal will end up the identical both means, however the stovetop model simply requires monitoring and stirring because it cooks.
This time of yr I like to high a sizzling bowl with toasted walnuts, chopped dates or raisins, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and seasonal fruit like pear or pomegranate. So cozy! Walnuts or pecans with maple syrup, cinnamon, and peanut butter is one other dreamy combo.
Earlier than I am going, a fast word that we’ll be collaborating in Giving Tuesday this coming Tuesday November 27, 2018. Right here’s a bit in regards to the trigger:
“GivingTuesday is a worldwide motion for giving and volunteering, going down annually after Black Friday. The “Opening day of the giving season,” it’s a time when charities, corporations and people be part of collectively and rally for favorite causes. In the identical means that retailers participate in Black Friday, the giving group comes collectively for GivingTuesday.”
This coming Tuesday, we’ll be donating 100% of that day’s OSG recipe app proceeds to Toronto’s Daily Bread Food Bank as our means to participate. I hope you’ll contemplate collaborating in #GivingTuesday too!
2 Three/four cups or four servings
Cook dinner time
For the oatmeal:
- 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can gentle coconut milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 cup (172 g) raw steel-cut oats
- Seasonal fruit
- Pure maple syrup
- Toasted walnuts
- Sprint superb sea salt, stirred in
- Raisins or chopped pitted Medjool dates
- STOVETOP METHOD: Pour the can of coconut milk and 1 cup (250 mL) water right into a medium pot and convey to a low boil over excessive warmth.
- Add the steel-cut oats to the pot and stir to mix. Instantly scale back the warmth to low (low warmth is essential or they’ll burn) and gently simmer, lined, for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring 4 to 5 instances throughout cooking and decreasing warmth if mandatory to stop burning. This methodology produces a thick pot of oats. For a porridge-like consistency, stir extra water in to your liking. I wish to stir in about 1/2 cup (125 mL) water after cooking.
- Portion into bowls and high along with your desired garnishes—I really like the combo of pure maple syrup, toasted walnuts, seasonal fruit, superb sea salt, cinnamon, and raisins or chopped dates, however be at liberty to get inventive and alter it up relying on the season. Leftovers will maintain in an hermetic container within the fridge for five to 7 days or you possibly can freeze them for as much as 1 month. I retailer cooled single parts in freezer-safe baggage and lie them flat within the freezer for simple stacking. Reheat refrigerated or thawed leftovers on the stovetop in a small pot together with a splash of water or milk over medium warmth.
You may also make pre-portioned servings so all you must do is dump it in a pot within the morning and rapidly warmth it up with a splash of milk!