Lion’s mane is a funny-looking mushroom, it’s true, however it appears to have some critically spectacular well being advantages. Used medicinally in Asia for hundreds of years, lion’s mane is turning into more and more in style within the West as science begins to again up its fame.
I’ve tried different mushrooms like chaga and seen a distinction in power and focus, so I wished to know extra about this superfood mushroom as effectively.
Lion’s Mane Mushroom Advantages
As early as 450 BCE, the Greek doctor (and grandfather of recent medication) Hippocrates recognized mushrooms as potent anti-inflammatory brokers. All these years later, information about medicinal mushrooms continues to be in its infancy (at the very least within the West).
Some researchers theorize that we haven’t explored fungi as medication as a result of they are often so dangerously complicated. One mushroom could also be good for consuming whereas the one proper subsequent to it may kill us! It is sensible to be cautious of one thing we understand as harmful and that isn’t effectively understood. (That being mentioned, conventional Japanese cultures appear to have figured it out…)
In a nutshell, lion’s mane is understood for its results on the central nervous system. Chinese language medication practitioners have used lion’s mane medicinally for hundreds of years to:
- fortify the spleen
- nourish the intestine
- as an anti-cancer drug
- promote digestion
- improve vigor and power
- assist ulcers and power gastritis
It is usually regarded as useful with insomnia, weak spot, and low power or power… and analysis continues to be uncovering different advantages.
What Is Lion’s Mane Mushroom?
Lion’s mane (Hericium erinaceus) is native to North America, Europe, and Asia. Nevertheless, it isn’t extensively cultivated outdoors of Asia, the place it holds a robust fame as a healthful medicinal mushroom.
One purpose you haven’t seen lion’s mane on the grocery retailer is its somewhat creepy, shaggy look. It appears to be like extra like a white pom-pom than the standard edible mushroom. Due to its look it has a protracted listing of inventive names: sheepshead, bearded tooth mushroom, satyr’s beard, monkey’s head, pom-pom mushroom, bearded hedgehog mushroom, and yamabushitake.
How Lion’s Mane Mushroom Impacts the Mind
Lion’s mane has many well being advantages however is most researched for the way it impacts the mind.
Improves Reminiscence and Focus
Lion’s mane is alleged to advertise focus and focus in addition to reminiscence. In our trendy society the place we are always multitasking, that is one thing on numerous our minds (pun totally supposed).
Analysis reveals that lion’s mane helps enhance focus by stimulating nerve development issue (NGF). NGF is a neuropeptide that helps regulate development, upkeep, proliferation, and survival of neurons or nerve cells. These neurons are like messengers, sending and processing data from the mind to the remainder of the physique. This analysis additionally reveals that it could possibly assist enhance photographic and short-term reminiscence.
A 2009 examine discovered that lion’s mane was efficient at enhancing cognition in these with delicate cognitive impairment (when taken for at the very least four weeks). The examine additionally discovered that lion’s mane works greatest when taken constantly.
Reduces Melancholy and Anxiousness
Anxiousness and despair are two of the commonest psychological diseases affecting individuals at this time. Vitamin B12 deficiency has confirmed to be a giant think about despair, however when that’s not sufficient, lion’s mane could assist.
This mushroom doubtless has an impact on the autonomous nervous system due to its skill to stimulate NGF. That is the a part of the nervous system that regulates computerized processes like respiratory.
One a part of this method is the sympathetic nervous system which controls struggle or flight reactions. In despair and nervousness, the sympathetic nervous system is in overdrive (whereas the parasympathetic nervous system is lowered). NGF may help enhance the stability of the autonomous nervous system and cut back despair and nervousness.
(Observe: That is in all probability just one issue as to why it helps psychological state and extra analysis is required to seek out out why it really works.)
Might Cease or Reverse Neurodegenerative Illness
The power to stimulate NGF can have helpful results on neurodegenerative ailments akin to Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s illness, and dementia. In research, the polysaccharides in these mushrooms have been discovered to be neuroprotective. Moreover, neurite outgrowth (the method of neurons studying and rising of their job as messengers) additionally improved.
Whereas neuroprotection is essential, regeneration is even higher. One examine discovered that lion’s mane mushrooms assist regenerate neurons from peripheral nerve harm (reconnecting hyperlinks between the mind and the spinal wire). Because of this lion’s mane can also shield towards the unfold of Parkinson’s illness.
Antioxidants are one way to struggle again towards oxidative stress and irritation that trigger illness. One examine demonstrates that lion’s mane has the 4th highest focus of antioxidants in any mushroom. A 2015 examine confirmed that lion’s mane can cut back irritation in fatty tissue.
Different Makes use of of Lion’s Mane
Lion’s mane is effectively often known as a brain-supporting mushroom, however there are different advantages this medicinal mushroom can present too. These further well being advantages alongside the cognitive operate help make lion’s mane a tremendous total meals, and plenty of well being corporations are actually offering it in complement type.
- Fights most cancers – Lion’s mane is lively towards sure most cancers cells and research recommend it does this with out toxicity to the affected person. (Extra analysis is required on this space.)
- Helps coronary heart well being – Consumption of lion’s mane also can enhance ratios of good to bad cholesterol. It additionally reveals that this mushroom can decrease triglycerides within the bloodstream which can cut back the danger of coronary heart illness.
- Enhance gastric signs – Polysaccharides in lion’s mane could also be useful in treating gastric points.
- Improves immune system – Lion’s mane promoted an antibacterial immune response when given to mice contaminated with salmonella. These mice lived three occasions longer after therapy with the mushroom. This can be because of a helpful change in intestine micro organism that stimulated the immune system.
Dangers & Precautions
Lion’s mane has no recognized uncomfortable side effects or established toxicity and is usually thought-about secure. Nevertheless, it’s not unusual for funguses to trigger allergic reactions like pores and skin rashes or respiratory problem. All the time verify along with your physician earlier than supplementing with lion’s mane, particularly when you have any allergic reactions to different mushrooms.
Tips on how to Use It
Use lion’s mane like every other mushroom. It’s an ideal alternative for meat because of its meaty texture and is assumed to tackle the flavour of what you cook dinner with it. However honest warning — some suppose lion’s mane also can have a crab or lobster style and texture. That’s an ideal factor if you like seafood (not so nice should you don’t!).
Consuming Lion’s Mane
Lion’s mane continues to be comparatively new within the West so that you aren’t more likely to discover it at your native grocery retailer. An Asian market could have it accessible regionally. There are additionally many totally different sorts of kits to start growing your own mushrooms!
I haven’t tried making ready (or rising) lion’s mane myself. This tutorial on how to cook it claims “the contrasts between the hairs and the virtually rubbery texture of the within makes for a tremendous culinary expertise.”
Uh… I’ll take their phrase for it for now… should you attempt it, let me know in the event that they’re proper! 🙂
What I Do
In case you don’t wish to attempt recent lion’s mane, think about using the dried mushroom in a tea. Alternately you would attempt a capsule, tincture, or lion’s mane extract. My favourite solution to get my dose is by utilizing Four Sigmatic elixir or coffees. You simply add scorching water to the single-serve packets so they’re excellent for touring, tenting, or a fast cup at house. (And I promise… you gained’t even realize it has mushrooms in it!)
As at all times, supplementing with even one of the best superfood dietary supplements isn’t going to repair a poor food plan, however it may be an ideal pure solution to enhance productiveness and focus… and who doesn’t want that?
Have you ever tried lion’s mane? Did you are feeling an enchancment in your mind well being?
- Stamets, P., & Zwickey, H. (2014, February). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684114/
- Neurological Exercise of Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceus) – Restorative Drugs. (2018, June 27). Retrieved from https://restorativemedicine.org/journal/neurological-activity-lions-mane-hericium-erinaceus/
- Brandalise, F., Cesaroni, V., Gregori, A., Repetti, M., Romano, C., Orrù, G., . . . Rossi, P. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5237458/
- Mori, Okay., Inatomi, S., Ouchi, Okay., Azumi, Y., & Tuchida, T. (2009, March). Bettering results of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on delicate cognitive impairment: A double-blind placebo-controlled medical trial. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18844328
- Nagano, M., Shimizu, Okay., Kondo, R., Hayashi, C., Sato, D., Kitagawa, Okay., & Ohnuki, Okay. (2010, August). Discount of despair and nervousness by four weeks Hericium erinaceus consumption. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20834180
- McGeer, P. L., & McGeer, E. G. (2004, December). Irritation and the degenerative ailments of getting older. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15681803
- Abdullah, N., Ismail, S. M., Aminudin, N., Shuib, A. S., & Lau, B. F. (n.d.). Analysis of Chosen Culinary-Medicinal Mushrooms for Antioxidant and ACE Inhibitory Actions. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21716693/
- Li, G., Yu, Okay., Li, F., Xu, Okay., Li, J., He, S., . . . Tan, G. (2014, April 28). Anticancer potential of Hericium erinaceus extracts towards human gastrointestinal cancers. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24631140
- Yang, B. Okay., Park, J. B., & Track, C. H. (2003, June). Hypolipidemic impact of an Exo-biopolymer produced from a submerged mycelial tradition of Hericium erinaceus. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12843656
- Wang, M., Gao, Y., Xu, D., & Gao, Q. (2015, November). A polysaccharide from cultured mycelium of Hericium erinaceus and its anti-chronic atrophic gastritis exercise. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26314904
- Kim, S. P., Moon, E., Nam, S. H., & Friedman, M. (2012, June 06). Hericium erinaceus mushroom extracts shield contaminated mice towards Salmonella Typhimurium-Induced liver injury and mortality by stimulation of innate immune cells. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22624604