A easy Caprese salad is one among my default dinners in August, so naturally, after I begin craving extra substantial meals in September, I flip to its heartier cousin: the Margherita pizza. Like Caprese salad, Margherita pizza stars recent basil, mozzarella, and the most effective tomatoes you will discover. It’s nonetheless a scrumptious, easy showcase of fine high quality produce, however the addition of crisp, chewy pizza crust, melty cheese, and heat sauce makes it a cozier, heartier meal.
I don’t learn about you, however I’m not prepared to enter full pumpkin and soup mode but. Our farmers markets are nonetheless boasting juicy tomatoes, and our yard basil plant remains to be chugging alongside, so we’d as nicely take pleasure in them whereas we will! This home made Margherita pizza recipe makes use of solely 7 fundamental parts, so good tomatoes are a should. It’ll be on repeat round right here for the following few weeks, whereas we will nonetheless get our palms on A+ tomatoes.
We actually love this one; I hope you do too!
My Margherita Pizza Recipe Components
With solely 7 parts, my home made Margherita pizza recipe is recent, comforting, and simple to toss collectively any evening of the week. Right here’s what you’ll must make it:
- Home made pizza dough. I exploit my go-to home made pizza dough recipe. The chewy/crisp crust is scrumptious underneath the juicy tomatoes and melty cheese.
- Home made pizza sauce. I exploit a meals processor to mix collectively a 5-ingredient tomato sauce with San Marzano tomatoes, and I don’t cook dinner it earlier than spreading it on the pizza. Because of this, it has a scrumptious, candy taste that enhances the recent tomatoes completely.
- Cherry tomatoes. Moderately than use giant tomatoes right here, I go for cherry tomatoes. They’re much less watery and have a extra concentrated taste than greater varieties would, so they offer this pizza an important style and texture.
- Recent mozzarella cheese. I hunt down recent bocconcini mozzarella for my Margherita pizza. You should utilize any recent mozzarella in a pinch, however bocconcini mozzarella is available in good, medium-sized balls. Whenever you slice it, it matches the scale of the cherry tomato slices, which makes for a fairly pizza.
- Recent basil. Sprinkle it over the pizza after it comes out of the oven, so it doesn’t burn or brown! For extra basil goodness, just a few dollops of pesto would even be scrumptious.
- Additional-virgin olive oil and crimson pepper flakes. The right ending touches!
Stretch your dough, unfold on the sauce, and layer it with the thinly sliced mozzarella and tomatoes. Bake till the cheese is melted and the crust is golden, and add the remaining pizza toppings: a bathe of recent basil leaves, a pinch of crimson pepper flakes, and a beneficiant drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
Slice, and revel in!
In the event you love this Margherita pizza recipe…
Strive my vegan pizza, zucchini pizza, blackberry basil pizza, spinach artichoke pizza, or any of those home made pizza recipes subsequent!
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Major dish
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough
- ½ heaping cup Pizza Sauce
- eight ounces recent bocconcini mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 10 basil leaves
- Pinch crimson pepper flakes
- Additional-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 500°F
- Unfold the pizza sauce onto the dough. High with the recent mozzarella and tomatoes and bake 10 to 12 minutes, or till the crust is browned. Take away from the oven and prime with recent basil leaves and a pinch of crimson pepper flakes. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.