Jack and I actually love meals, however in fact you already know that by now. We began this weblog out of a shared ardour for visiting farmers markets and tackling kitchen initiatives. Whereas I’m the one which does many of the cooking, we all the time all the time all the time sit down and revel in dinner collectively (effectively, besides Tuesdays, the night time he goes to comedy class). Spending time on the desk collectively is our favourite time to calm down and decompress from the work day. It’s a time for me to inform foolish tales, and it’s a time for him to check out his jokes in order that I can faux to snicker at them.
For this publish, we’re partnering with Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove, celebrating their philosophy that extends far past the kitchen and encourages us to reside deliciously. It’s an invite to place your cellphone down, decide up your fork, and collect round scrumptious meals. We’re excited to be partnering with Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove once more as a result of we’re obsessed with their home equipment. Cooking in our new Chicago house has been enjoyable on the highly effective Wolf cooktop, meals storage is a dream within the Sub-Zero fridge, and we love how clear our dishes come out of our new Cove dishwasher.
So talking of cooking meals, storing meals, and spending time with your beloved, right here’s a little bit his & hers meal prep technique! Having just lately moved from Austin, Jack and I’ve a shared love for taco-type meals. We used to spend numerous heat evenings sitting on patios over selfmade chips and spicy, herb-flecked salsas, in order that’s what impressed us to make this “Taco Night time” themed meal that may be blended and matched to swimsuit our particular person cravings. If he looks like a burrito and I really feel like a salad, we will spend the night collectively cooking the very same group of elements, even when we wish to assemble barely completely different meals. What’s greatest is that by prepping these elements as soon as, we’ve got leftovers that we will proceed to combine and match all through the week.
Over time, we’ve discovered this sort of meal prep to be a very enjoyable approach to share time within the kitchen and nonetheless make meals that fits our completely different preferences. As a substitute of cooking one meal for dinner, we make a set of elements that may work in a number of meals for a number of tastes. Right here’s the way it goes:
Choose a theme! I selected “Taco Night time” meal prep.
I selected “taco night time” as a theme as a result of it’s so versatile. The elements are straightforward to make, and so they can flip into so many meals. Chopped veggies, beans, recent pico de gallo, and a yummy cilantro sauce can create numerous mixtures of those primary meals:
- Tacos (clearly)
- Grain Bowls/Veggie Bowls
- Finish of the week frittatas
Meal prep three to four straightforward recipe elements that may be made forward.
It’s necessary to verify the quantity of prep is simple sufficient to perform on a Sunday or Monday night time so that you simply don’t spend your total weekend meal prepping. *Bonus factors in the event you delegate duties to your associate. For instance, Jack can char the peppers whereas I prep the pico de gallo.
We prepped the next for our “taco night time” meal:
- Shiitake Taco “Meat”
- Charred poblano and purple pepper strips
- Pico de Gallo
- Cilantro Lime Dressing/Sauce
…and prep and/or set up your supporting elements.
Supporting elements don’t must be cooked, but it surely’s useful to have them washed, chopped, and able to go. Additionally, don’t slice your avocados earlier than you’re able to eat – I solely did that for the image.
Right here’s how I prepped my elements!
- Washed salad greens
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Rinsed beans
- Sliced radishes
Optionally available Step: Clear out your fridge 🙂
Once I take the time to do such a meal prep, I discover it useful to clear the muddle out of the fridge in order that I can really see the fruits (or veggies) of my labor. On no account does my fridge all the time look so tidy, however I discover it cathartic to calm the chaos that occurs after an particularly busy week of recipe testing. I take advantage of glass containers and I retailer my ready meals gadgets at eye degree. Greens, veggies, and citrus get saved within the decrease drawers – the Sub-Zero drawers preserve produce recent for an exceptionally very long time. Scallions and herbs additionally preserve amazingly effectively within the drawers, so I’ll retailer them there or in glass jars with simply an inch of water if I’m making an attempt to make my fridge really feel recent and fairly (remembering to switch the water every day).
Time to eat!
All the pieces is prepped, so now you possibly can every make your individual meals in accordance with your hearts’ wishes. On this explicit night, I made a taco salad and Jack made tacos. (pictured above)
The following day, I made tacos for lunch and the next day, we added potatoes and eggs for some breakfast burritos. (pictured beneath). Over the weekend, I used up the final of the pico de gallo to make migas.
I’ve listed all of those elements within the recipe beneath – use it as a template and regulate portions to fit your circle of relatives’s wants. If you would like the taco “meat” to final all week, double it! And as all the time, be happy to riff off of those elements. Add rice to make burrito bowls or swap up the veggie scenario – one night time we poured the cilantro sauce over black bean and rice bowls with grilled broccoli. Let me know the way you utilize this template to encourage your individual meal prep meals!
Meal Prep for Two
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: primary dish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- eight ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and diced
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 2 cups diced tomato (2 to three small tomatoes)
- ¾ cup diced white onion
- ½ cup chopped recent cilantro
- ¼ cup recent lime juice
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and diced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, extra to style
- 2 cups recent cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon floor coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado or ½ cup greek yogurt to make a creamy sauce
- Pink peppers and/or poblano peppers, for charring
- Salad Greens
- Shredded Pink Cabbage
- Black Beans or Pinto Beans
- Sliced Radishes
- Limes for squeezing on every part
- Tortillas and crispy tortilla strips
- Make the Shiitake Taco “Meat.” In a medium skillet, warmth the olive oil over medium warmth. Add the mushrooms and cook dinner, stirring solely often, till they start to brown and soften, three to four minutes. Stir within the walnuts and calmly toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir within the tamari and the chili powder. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir once more. Take away from the warmth and season with salt and pepper to style. Retailer leftovers within the fridge and reheat as wanted.
- Make the Pico de Gallo. In a small bowl, mix the tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño, and salt. Stir to mix. Chill till prepared to make use of.
- Make the Cilantro Lime Dressing/Sauce: In a meals processor, place the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, maple syrup, coriander, and salt and pulse to mix. With the blade operating, pour within the olive oil and course of till clean. Make your dressing creamy by including avocado or greek yogurt and pulse to mix. Chill till prepared to make use of.
- Char the peppers. Warmth a grill pan on the range to medium warmth. Place the peppers and allow them to char for four to five minutes per aspect, till the peppers are smooth and either side has black grill marks. (Alternatively, you might roast them within the oven till smooth). Take away from the grill, take away the stem and ribbing, and slice the peppers into strips. Retailer leftovers within the fridge and serve chilly or reheated.
- Use these elements to combine and match meals as you want!
Particular because of Sub-Zero Wolf, and Cove for partnering on this publish!