You’ve most likely seen the meal prep development on-line the place dozens and dozens of meals are prepped in containers for your entire week? Holy moly. I can say that may most likely by no means be me. I as soon as tried an over-ambitious meal prep and never solely did I find yourself with means an excessive amount of meals, however it took up most of my day.
On the flip facet, I’ve realized that my veggie consumption falls fairly flat once I don’t do any prep in any respect.
Soooo….there needs to be a contented medium!?
This little dilemma is precisely why I got here up with a easy plan that absolutely suits into my life today. The recipe under (which is completely customizable!) takes lower than 30 minutes of energetic prep time, however makes sufficient meals for a number of parts, rising the percentages that you simply’ll be a veggie powerhouse for the workweek. *arm flex* I like how I can shortly reheat a pair issues and construct a hearty, nutritious bowl in a matter of minutes!
My meal prep methodology has been going like this:
- Roast two big sheets of veggies
- Cook dinner a grain
- Chop a pair recent veggies (generally I skip this if I’m tight on time)
- Have toppings readily available, ready-to-roll—issues like avocado, nuts/seeds, beans, dressing, and so on.
This methodology has dramatically modified my meals in latest weeks (particularly, lunches) and elevated my veggie consumption a ton. The entire elements might be modified up so it by no means needs to be repetitive and you’ll be versatile with utilizing what you will have in your fridge/pantry. It helps reduce down waste as a result of you’ll be able to simply deplete these “on the verge of dying” veggies in your crisper. Simply throw ‘em within the oven and roast the heck out of ‘em! And in case you get bored with bowls, throw the prepped meals into scrumptious wraps and even soups/stews.
Should you’re feeling extra-ambitious and wish to prep much more meals, I’d suggest including a number of of the next tasty objects:
I’ve offered an in depth recipe under as a result of it helps to have one thing to work from the primary time, however like I mentioned, be at liberty to run with it. Should you merely decide to roasting 2 huge sheets of veggies, cook dinner a grain, and chop some recent veggies….you’ll be effectively in your option to making straightforward throw-together energy bowls all week lengthy. My future hangry self has been thanking me loads.
Earlier than I’m going, I wish to point out that The Oh She Glows Recipe App remains to be on sale for 99 cents within the Apple iTunes Retailer till mid-March! You’ll discover these scrumptious energy bowls in there, in addition to greater than 160 of my favorite plant-based recipes (this quantity contains 30 app unique recipes too). Comfortable cooking 🙂
Cook dinner time
For the roasted veggies:
- three small (680 g) candy potatoes, peeled and chopped (four cups)
- four cups (500 g) brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved*
- 1 medium (800 g) cauliflower, chopped into small florets (four heaping cups)
- 1 medium (230 g) crimson onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 giant (500 g) crimson bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- three tablespoons (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to style
For the quinoa:
- 2 cups (400 g) raw quinoa**
For the recent veggies:
- 1 medium (370 g) English cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium (135 g) bunch inexperienced onions, chopped
- 2 cups (255 g) grape tomatoes (1 dry pint)
For the facility bowl toppings:
- Chopped lettuce/greens (Romaine, Iceberg, kale, and so on)
- Salad dressing***
- Ripe avocados
- Cooked beans or lentils
- Nuts and seeds (I take advantage of hemp hearts and roasted pepitas)
- Hummus or pesto
- Place two oven racks close to the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line two extra-large (15- x 21-inches) rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. It’s vital to make use of extra-large baking sheets so there’s sufficient room for all these wholesome veggies.
- Divide the chopped, “to-be-roasted” veggies onto the baking sheets. Drizzle 1 half tablespoons of oil over prime every sheet and toss the veggies till they’re absolutely coated within the oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast the veggies for 30 to 40 minutes (I discover 35 minutes is ideal in my oven for evenly charred veggies) till fork tender and golden. There’s no must rotate/transfer the pans or flip the veggies midway via baking except you’re specific about even cooking.
- Whereas the veggies are roasting, add the quinoa to a big pot together with three half cups (875 mL) water. Stir. Deliver to a simmer over medium-high warmth, then instantly cut back the warmth to low-medium, cowl with a tight-fitting lid, and cook dinner for 12 to 14 minutes, till the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Take away the lid and fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork.
- Whereas the quinoa cooks, chop the cucumber and inexperienced onions. Rinse the tomatoes (I maintain off slicing them till simply earlier than serving).
- Take away the roasted veggies from the oven. As soon as largely cool, switch all the veggies and quinoa into containers, seal with hermetic lids, and place into the fridge for as much as four days.
- To make the facility bowls: Add a pair beneficiant handfuls of chopped lettuce/greens to the underside of a giant shallow bowl. Drizzle with a little bit of dressing and toss the lettuce/greens till coated. Prime with spoonfuls of your prepped meals (quinoa, roasted and recent veggies)—I all the time heat up the quinoa and roasted veggies first! Now, add diced avocado, extra salad dressing, cooked beans or lentils, nuts and seeds, and hummus or pesto. Preserve the facility bowl flavours fascinating by changing up the toppings every day!