Joyful Friday! I’m so excited to share these oatmeal cookies with you immediately as a result of they really are the perfect. Just a few weeks in the past, I acquired an intense yearning for oatmeal raisin cookie. I ran to the kitchen and rapidly threw collectively substances that I occurred to have available and, with out actually measuring, I made some okay oat-ball sort of cookies. They midway hit the spot, however my craving continued. So after I flipped by Sarah Copeland’s stunning new guide Each Day is Saturday, her oatmeal cookie recipe grabbed my consideration.
Sarah writes, “there are three sorts of oatmeal cookie: over-sugared and raisin-laden; too healthful (a hippie cookie in disguise); after which these little nuggets of pleasure you may’t cease consuming – that good sort of cookie. These stay within the third camp: sugar underneath management, however current, and no skimping on the butter (though I used coconut oil and so they have been nonetheless excellent). Cinnamon and vanilla give these massive taste. And for the sweet-toothed, a sprinkling of raisins, and buttery pecans (I used walnuts) do the trick.”
My private verdict? These cookies completely hit the spot! They have been precisely what I used to be craving, the one drawback is that they disappeared too shortly!
Sarah is the creator of a few of my favourite cookbooks together with the Newlywed Cookbook and Feast. Her latest guide, Each Day is Saturday, is a beautiful guide stuffed with recipes which are simple and doable for weekdays however that may infuse a dreamy weekend vibe into your on a regular basis. Additionally – in the event you’re in Chicago, I’m doing an occasion with Sarah TOMORROW at Learn it & Eat in Lincoln park at 2pm. We’ll be chatting about cookbooks and I’ll be signing copies of my guide too. I hope to see you there!
Oatmeal Cookie Recipe Components
The substances to this recipe are easy – you seemingly have already got them in your pantry!
- All-purpose flour and entire rolled oats are the bottom of the dough.
- Baking powder and baking soda make them good & puffy.
- Brown sugar provides the proper caramelized sweetness.
- Sea salt offsets the candy sugar and raisins.
- Cinnamon and vanilla extract give them that scrumptious heat, spiced oatmeal cookie taste.
- Coconut oil or melted butter provides moisture and richness. I used coconut oil, and these tasted splendidly buttery simply the identical!
- 1 giant egg + an additional egg yolk give them a wealthy, thick dough and a moist, mild remaining texture.
- Raisins dot them with chewy pops of sweetness.
- And walnuts add nuttiness and crunch.
The best way to Make Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Making this oatmeal raisin cookie recipe couldn’t be simpler. Right here’s what it’s good to do:
- In separate bowls, whisk collectively the dry and moist substances.
- Pour the moist substances into the bowl with the dry substances and blend till simply mixed.
- Fold within the oats, raisins, and walnuts. The combination shall be thick!
- Let the dough relaxation for 20 minutes. Then, roll it into balls.
- Bake the balls at 350 levels for 10-11 minutes, till properly golden brown.
- While you take the cookies out of the oven, they need to look barely under-baked. Don’t fear, although – go away them on the new baking sheets for five minutes out of the oven, and so they’ll be delectably tender and chewy.
- After 5 minutes, switch the cookies to a wire rack to chill utterly, and luxuriate in!
Oatmeal Cookie Recipe Ideas
Sarah has a number of glorious pointers in her guide. These are her suggestions for making the perfect oatmeal raisin cookies:
- Use brown sugar. As an alternative of utilizing a mixture of brown sugar and granulated sugar, Sarah opts for all brown sugar. It offers these oatmeal raisin cookies a scrumptious caramelized sweetness.
- Go for melted, not creamed, butter. In line with Sarah, creamed butter cookies are unpredictable: they’ll simply unfold an excessive amount of or be too agency. With melted butter, although, you’ll get moist, chewy cookies each time.
- Let the dough relaxation 20 minutes earlier than baking. These 20 minutes will make your dough simpler to roll into balls, so the cookies will hold their form and develop a yummy chewy texture within the oven.
- Permit the cookies to chill utterly for the perfect texture and taste. It could be agony, however letting these oatmeal raisin cookies cool utterly solely makes them higher. They’ll be chewier and absolutely infused with brown sugar taste. Sarah likes these finest a number of hours to 1 day after baking. (Although I can attest that they’re nonetheless good in the event you can’t wait that lengthy.)
Make-Forward Oatmeal Cookies
If you happen to’re somebody who likes to maintain cookie dough available within the fridge or freezer, this oatmeal cookie recipe is for you. You may combine up the dough and hold it within the fridge for 7-10 days or freeze it for as much as a month.
To retailer the dough, roll it into balls and freeze them briefly. Then, switch them to hermetic plastic containers or Ziploc baggage and refrigerate or freeze. You may as well roll the dough right into a log, utilizing an eight×12-inch piece of parchment paper as a information. Wrap the log tightly in parchment to refrigerate or freeze, and slice the cookies into rounds earlier than baking.
Bake your cookie dough straight from the fridge. If it’s frozen, enable it to relaxation for 15 minutes at room temperature earlier than placing it within the oven.
My Favourite Variations for Oatmeal Cookies
If you happen to comply with this recipe as written, you completely is not going to be upset: these oatmeal cookies are buttery, nutty, and completely spiced. If you wish to step outdoors the normal oatmeal raisin cookie field, although, listed here are a number of recommendations to alter them up:
- Substitute chocolate chips for the raisins to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, or use a mixture of each.
- Strive utilizing pecans as a substitute of walnuts.
- Swap the raisins for dried cherries or cranberries.
- Add a touch of cardamom or ginger to the dough.
- Skip the raisins and use butterscotch chips or a mixture of chocolate and butterscotch chips for extra-buttery taste.
What’s your favourite option to make oatmeal cookies? Let me know within the feedback!
If you happen to love this oatmeal raisin cookie recipe…
Strive these apple cookies, these pumpkin cookies, these sugar cookies, or these breakfast cookies subsequent!
And make sure to take a look at Each Day is Saturday! I do know you’ll find it irresistible!
Good Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Creator: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Dessert
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 giant egg
- 1 giant egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cup entire rolled oats
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, non-obligatory
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a big bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk collectively the melted coconut oil, sugar, entire egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, whisking vigorously.
- Stir the moist substances into the dry substances. Stir within the oats, raisins, and walnuts, if utilizing, folding into a good batter. Set the dough apart for 20 minutes whereas the oven preheats.
- Scoop into 20 tablespoon-sized balls and roll flippantly in precisely damp arms to make them spherical. Unfold out onto the ready baking sheets and bake till puffed, golden, and a contact underbaked-looking, 10 to 11 minutes. Let cool on the pans for five minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to chill utterly.