These mashed potatoes handed the final word take a look at when Jack declared, “These are SO good!” I’ve to agree – they’re creamy, deeply flavorful & scrumptious.
The usual for mashed potatoes is excessive in our home. See, Jack grew up consuming his Uncle Billy’s good mashed potatoes, and he nonetheless reminisces about them. They had been creamy, fluffy, and wealthy with (a number of) melted butter, (a number of) bitter cream, and topped with “butter lake,” as Jack lovingly refers to it. I’ve made mashed potato recipes earlier than, however all the time with a twist like cauliflower or kale. This yr, I stepped as much as tackle the problem of constructing a scrumptious, basic go-to home made mashed potato recipe.
This mashed potato recipe shouldn’t be fairly the identical as his Uncle Billy’s, so I didn’t know what Jack would suppose. As an alternative of dairy, olive oil and starchy potato cooking water give these potatoes an incredible creamy texture, and roasted garlic fills them with wealthy, nutty depth of taste. I assumed they had been scrumptious, however the actual take a look at got here once we sat all the way down to eat.
Jack’s verdict? “These mashed potatoes are SO good!”
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe Components
The perfect mashed potatoes solely require a number of easy components:
- Potatoes – My first picks are Yukon gold or German butterball potatoes. In contrast to russet potatoes, they’ve a wealthy golden colour, they usually make for tremendous creamy mashed potatoes.
- Roasted garlic – The key ingredient! I combine in a complete head of roasted garlic to pack these guys with taste.
- Olive oil – I really like the wealthy style of olive oil on this recipe, and, together with starchy potato cooking water, it makes these garlic mashed potatoes simply as creamy as any I’ve had with butter, milk, or bitter cream.
- Salt and pepper – Absolute necessities! For optimum taste, I salt the potato cooking water in addition to mixing salt and pepper into the mashed potatoes.
- Toppings – High your potatoes nonetheless you want! My favourite approach to eat them is with a sprinkle of chives, minced recent rosemary, and a pat of butter.
Make Mashed Potatoes
First, roast the garlic in a 350-degree oven till the cloves are deeply brown and tender. This might take as much as 60 minutes! Tip: You may simply do that step forward of time. Wrapped in foil, the roasted garlic will hold for three days within the fridge.
Then, peel the potatoes. For those who love creamy mashed potatoes, peeling is a should. As soon as they’re peeled, there’s no want to chop the potatoes earlier than cooking. Simply put them in a big pot, and canopy them with 1 inch of chilly water.
Subsequent, boil them. Add a teaspoon of salt to the pot, and boil till the potatoes are tender. Earlier than you drain the potatoes, don’t neglect to order 1 cup of the starchy cooking water.
Then, it’s time to mash! For one of the best creamy texture, I rice the potatoes first. Then, I exploit an everyday potato masher to interrupt up any chunks. For those who don’t have a potato ricer, that’s okay! Simply you’ll want to mash them totally.
Lastly, fold the whole lot collectively. Take away the tender garlic cloves from their paper and mash them right into a paste with a fork or small masher. Fold the garlic into the potatoes, together with olive oil, reserved potato cooking water, salt, and pepper. Season to style and add extra cooking water, as wanted, to achieve your required consistency.
High along with your favourite fixings, and revel in!
Extra Favourite Aspect Dish Recipes
For those who love these roasted garlic mashed potatoes, attempt considered one of these favourite aspect dish recipes subsequent:
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Aspect dish
- 1 entire garlic bulb
- Additional virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt
- 2 kilos Yukon gold or butterball potatoes, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Butter, optionally available for serving
- Chopped chives and/or rosemary, optionally available for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the roasted garlic: Trim the highest ¼ inch off the highest of the garlic bulb. Place cut-side up on a bit of foil, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Wrap the garlic within the foil and roast for 40 to 60 minutes or till the cloves are deeply golden brown and tender. Take away from the oven and let cool barely. Use the again of a chef’s knife or a small masher to mash the garlic right into a paste earlier than incorporating into the mashed potatoes. Put aside.
- Make the mashed potatoes: Place the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a big pot and fill with sufficient water to cowl the potatoes by 1 inch. Deliver to a boil and prepare dinner till fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Use a ricer or a potato masher to mash the potatoes into a big bowl. Use a rubber spatula to fold within the roasted garlic, olive oil, ½ cup of the reserved cooking liquid, 1 teaspoon salt, and a number of other pinches of pepper. Proceed folding till creamy, including as much as ½ cup extra cooking liquid if desired for creamier potatoes. Serve sizzling with butter, rosemary, and chives, if desired.
*Be aware: the roasted garlic might be made as much as three days prematurely and saved within the fridge till prepared to make use of.