Have you ever ever tried roasted tomatoes? For those who haven’t, I’m right here to let you know that you just have to make this roasted tomato recipe earlier than summer season ends. Whereas I really like utilizing juicy recent tomatoes in recipes like pico de gallo, Caprese salad, and panzanella, roasted tomatoes remodel into one thing completely completely different. As they roast, they lose moisture, and their taste intensifies. They arrive out of the oven chewy & tart, with a super-concentrated, intense umami taste. These little guys are completely irresistible!
Be sure to roast a giant batch – you’ll discover countless methods to make use of them. Round right here, we are able to’t get sufficient of them on pizza, in pasta, or on their very own straight out of the oven!
Easy methods to Roast Tomatoes
Fortunately, making oven-roasted tomatoes couldn’t be simpler. All you want is olive oil, salt, and tomatoes. While you’re selecting tomato varieties, select small to medium-sized ones. I particularly wish to roast cherry tomatoes, however grape tomatoes, or plum tomatoes work too. The toughest half is ready for them to prepare dinner! Right here’s learn how to roast them:
- Preheat the oven to 250 levels, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, and place them with their lower sides up in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, and switch the baking dish to the oven. Roast the tomatoes till they’re shriveled and browned across the edges. That’s it!
At 250 levels, my cherry tomatoes took about four hours to get completely shriveled and brown across the edges. The time will fluctuate relying on the dimensions and juiciness of your tomatoes – roasted grape tomatoes can take as little as an hour, whereas bigger tomatoes will want longer.
When I’ve time to allow them to prepare dinner, I like to do a extremely lengthy, sluggish roast like this. However some days, I don’t have all afternoon to make roasted tomatoes. After I’m in a rush, I roast them at 300 levels to assist them prepare dinner sooner, or I’ll begin at 250 and switch up the warmth to 350 partway via, as soon as the tomatoes have begun to wilt down. They arrive out nice simply the identical! Simply make sure to not begin with too excessive a temperature – if the oven is just too sizzling, the tomatoes will burst, not shrivel.
What To Do With Oven Roasted Tomatoes
With their concentrated umami taste, roasted tomatoes are a superb addition to pastas, salads, soups, tomato sauce, and extra! Listed here are a few of my favourite methods to make use of them:
How do you want to make use of roasted tomatoes? Let me know within the feedback!
For those who love these oven roasted tomatoes…
Strive roasted crimson peppers, cauliflower, asparagus, beets, or delicata squash subsequent!
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe kind: Element
- three cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Additional-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- recent thyme, non-compulsory
- Preheat the oven to 250°F and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cherry tomatoes lower aspect up on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and recent thyme, if utilizing.
- Roast the tomatoes till they’re nicely shriveled across the edges, 2½ to three hours. The time will fluctuate relying on the dimensions and water content material of your tomatoes.
Be aware: to hurry up the method, I typically flip up my oven to 300 or 350 midway via the roasting time. This enables the tomatoes to start to dehydrate after which proceed to roast. Too excessive of a temperature too early will trigger them to burst as an alternative of shrivel.