It’s sushi day!
You could be questioning – why the heck would you roll sushi at dwelling when it’s a lot simpler to order it at a restaurant? As a result of it’s enjoyable, it’s inexpensive, and it’s far more contemporary than take-out sushi… however the very best half is you could get artistic about what you select to fill your rolls with. No extra cucumber-only veggie sushi rolls!
These rolls are stuffed with savory roasted shiitake mushrooms, avocado, cucumber, and purple cabbage for crunch & colour. There’s additionally a enjoyable dipping sauce – the carrot ginger dressing from the Rainbow Kale Salad that I posted on Monday. If you happen to make that salad and reserve only a little bit of the dressing it makes for a yummy, contemporary, and surprising sauce for these rolls.
So right here’s how we roll. Step #1 is to not stress out. Your rolls don’t should be excellent. The primary one would possibly even disintegrate, however even when it does you’ll decide up the items, smush them collectively and (hopefully!) get pleasure from consuming it anyway. The second will probably be higher, and the third will probably be a breeze.
The detailed directions are down within the recipe beneath, however mainly you need to fill, however not overstuff your roll. Unfold the rice, assemble your filling, then use the bamboo mat to tuck and roll over the filling (pictured above). While you’re on the finish, use the mat to softly press and form the roll.
Place the roll reduce facet down and use a really sharp knife to slice it into items.
These are greatest loved simply after they’re rolled, however the dipping sauce and mushrooms might be made upfront to hurry up the method. If you wish to make this upfront (i.e. for lunch the following day) retailer entire, uncut rolls wrapped up within the fridge. This retains the rice from drying out after the items are reduce. Slice as you’re able to eat.
If you happen to’re not a fan of mushrooms, give this Avocado & Mango Brown Rice Sushi choice a attempt.
Completely happy rolling!
Shiitake Maki with Carrot Ginger Sauce
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- ½ cup chopped roasted carrots (about ¾ cup uncooked carrots)
- ⅓ to ½ cup water
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup brief grain brown rice, rinsed properly
- 2 cups water*
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- three nori sheets
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- three lengthy skinny strips of cucumber
- ½ avocado, sliced into strips
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Tamari, for serving
- Pickled ginger, non-compulsory, for serving
- Put together the roasted shiitakes: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a big and small baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the shiitake mushrooms with the olive oil and tamari and toss to coat. Unfold in a fair layer on the massive baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes or till browned across the edges. On the second sheet, roast the carrots for the dipping sauce.
- Make the carrot ginger dipping sauce: In a blender, mix the roasted carrots, water, olive oil, rice vinegar, ginger, and salt and mix till creamy. Chill till prepared to make use of and put aside the shiitakes till you are able to roll.
- Make the sushi rice: In a medium saucepan, mix the rice, water, and olive oil and convey to a boil. Cowl, cut back the warmth, and simmer for 45 minutes. Take away the rice from warmth and let sit, lined, for 10 extra minutes. Fluff with a fork and fold within the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Cowl till prepared to make use of.
- Assemble the maki sushi rolls. Place a small bowl of water and a kitchen towel close to your work space as your palms will get sticky. Place one nori sheet, shiny facet down, onto a bamboo mat and press a handful of rice onto the decrease two-thirds of the sheet. On the backside of the rice place your toppings (see image). Don’t overfill or will probably be tougher to roll. Use the bamboo mat to tuck and roll the nori. As soon as rolled, use the bamboo mat to softly press and form the roll. Place the roll to the facet, reduce facet down. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Use a pointy chef’s knife to chop the sushi. Wipe the knife clear with a moist towel between cuts.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with the dipping sauce, tamari, and pickled ginger, if desired.
To retailer your rolls in a single day, retailer them uncut, wrapped in plastic wrap, within the fridge. This helps hold the rice from drying out. Slice as you are able to eat.