This straightforward sugar cookie recipe is enjoyable to make, and the outcomes are scrumptious! It yields buttery, comfortable sugar cookies which can be yummy with or with out icing.
Once I was a child, my household’s sugar cookie recipe was the very first thing that introduced us again into the kitchen after Thanksgiving. We’d spend the weekend after the vacation rolling out dough, slicing out festive shapes, and adorning the cookies as soon as they had been baked. To me, baking sugar cookies nonetheless appears like the primary signal that Christmas is on its approach, and this straightforward sugar cookie recipe is the right approach to kick off the vacation season!
It’s festive, enjoyable, and easy to make, and the cookies themselves are scrumptious. They’re thick, delicate, and comfortable, with delicious crispy edges. Rising up, we at all times added almond extract to our Christmas sugar cookies, so I had to make use of it on this recipe, together with lemon zest (in fact) and vanilla. None of those flavors is overbearing, however they mix to make the cookies style wealthy, heat, and tangy.
These sugar cookies are tasty, evenly candy treats on their very own, however they’re additionally a blast to embellish! We dressed up ours with royal icing (recipe beneath) and matcha sugar for a pure pop of coloration, however this cashew frosting or this easy glaze would work simply as nicely. Blissful baking!
Make Sugar Cookies
Wish to discover ways to make sugar cookies? Right here’s what it is advisable do:
First, combine collectively the dry components: all-purpose flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
Then, cream collectively the butter and sugar within the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat within the egg, vanilla and almond extracts, and lemon zest, after which add the flour combination, 1/three at a time, and blend till all the pieces is nicely mixed.
Subsequent, chill the dough. Form the dough into 2 disks, wrap it in plastic wrap, and switch it to the fridge to sit back for two hours.
After the dough has chilled, roll it out on a evenly floured floor. Watch out to not roll the dough too skinny right here. To get thick, comfortable sugar cookies, intention for it to be about 1/Four-inch thick. If it will get a lot thinner, the cookies might be crispy as an alternative of soppy.
When you’ve rolled out the dough, use cookie cutters to chop out your required shapes. Re-roll the dough, as wanted, to get as many cut-outs as you’ll be able to!
Then, it’s time to bake. Line a number of baking sheets with parchment paper and switch the cut-outs to the baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes every, till the cookies are simply starting to brown across the edges. Allow them to relaxation on the baking sheet for two minutes earlier than transferring them to wire racks to chill utterly.
You possibly can cease right here – these cookies are scrumptious with or with out icing. If you wish to embellish them, anticipate the cookies to chill utterly earlier than topping them along with your favourite sprinkles, royal icing (recipe beneath), frosting, or glaze. If, like me, you favor to make use of pure meals coloring and sprinkles, take a look at these from Supernatural Kitchen!
Finest Sugar Cookie Recipe Ideas
- Chill the dough for at the least 2 hours. We examined baking these sugar cookies after only one hour of chilling, and right here’s our takeaway: don’t lower the chilling time brief! Their heat, tangy taste improves exponentially once they chill for an additional hour. If the dough is simply too stiff to work with when it comes out of the fridge, let it relaxation for five minutes at room temperature earlier than you begin rolling it out.
- Bake one sheet at a time. As a result of temperatures range all through an oven, bake one sheet at a time for probably the most even cooking. You don’t need cookies on the underside rack to burn earlier than the highest rack begins to brown!
- Let the cookies relaxation on the baking sheet for two minutes after they arrive out of the oven. In case you transfer them too early, they may crumble. Let the cookies arrange for a full 2 minutes earlier than transferring them to wire racks to chill utterly.
- Look forward to them to chill utterly earlier than adorning. It’s tempting to start out adorning these guys immediately, however your cookies must be at room temperature earlier than you embellish them. In any other case, the frosting will soften! I prefer to make my cut-outs just a few days prematurely after which freeze the cookies to frost on one other day.
Extra Favourite Vacation Treats
In case you love this sugar cookie recipe, attempt considered one of these straightforward recipes subsequent:
Writer: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe sort: Dessert
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Four cups powdered sugar
- three tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 to six tablespoons water, extra as wanted
- Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Cream the butter within the bowl of an electrical mixer. Add the sugar and beat till fluffy, scraping down the edges of the bowl as wanted. Add the egg and beat nicely, then add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and lemon zest, and blend once more. Add the dry components one third at a time, mixing till nicely mixed. Divide the dough into two balls and flatten into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for two hours.
- Roll the dough on a evenly floured floor till ¼ inch thick. Use cookie cutters to chop out desired shapes. Switch to the baking sheets and bake, one sheet at a time, for 10 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for two minutes, then switch to a wire rack to proceed cooling. Cool utterly earlier than icing.
- Make the Royal Icing: Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the meringue powder and 5 tablespoons water. Combine till easy and shiny, including extra water, ½ teaspoon at a time, if essential. Switch half of the frosting to a piping bag with a #three tip for piping skinny traces (ie, the snowflakes) and for outlining filled-in shapes. For flooding/filling in cookie shapes, add extra water, ½ teaspoon at a time, to skinny the icing to a runny consistency. There are some useful adorning video tutorials right here.
Recipe tailored from Disney’s Household Cookbook by Deanna F. Prepare dinner. Royal icing recipe from wilton.com.