I’ve shared these a number of instances on instagram and now I’ve lastly put pen to paper to write down the recipe. These candy potato enchiladas are about essentially the most comforting meal I cook dinner, with out an overload of cheese. The candy potato and beans present the filling whereas and straightforward home made enchilada sauce brings all of it collectively.
Candy Potato Enchiladas: Parts
This recipe is concerned, there’s no two methods round it. Whereas I’ve tried to restrict the quantity of prep by relying closely on pre-ground spices and garlic powder, this meal is heavy on elements.
The good factor for you, nonetheless, is that every one these elements could be made forward of time and used not solely on this meal however meals throughout the week. For instance:
The candy potatoes
Candy potato puree, in the course of the cooler months, is an automated go-to. I make wraps, pasta dishes, risottos, and even my morning toast with slightly assist from a easy candy potato puree. Make a couple-potatoes price by merely roasting entire potatoes and scooping out the potato as soon as cool. The candy potato puree will final for as much as 5 days.
Don’t need to use candy potatoes? Any puree will do. Pumpkin or butternut squash can be my subsequent two decisions. You may as well add in greens, candy corn, or roasted tomatoes in the course of the spring and summer season months.
In terms of beans, these are a riff on my spiced pinto beans (made slightly simpler on this enchilada recipe in the event you’re making the night-of). I really like these beans as taco filling, as a toast topper, or as a topping to a creamy polenta bowl. I normally batch and use them twice in a single week: as soon as for these enchiladas and as soon as in a grain bowl.
The Enchilada Sauce
Much like the beans, I make a way more concerned enchilada sauce that makes use of dried chilis, toasted entire spices, and a slower cooking time. Nevertheless, I wished to maintain this recipe as near weeknight pleasant as I might (I notice a 60-minute ordeal isn’t tremendous weeknight pleasant however these are so good!)
Enchilada sauce is an efficient batch and freeze mission. Make triple of what I’ve right here and freeze it in 2-cup increments. I love using this sauce to cook eggs in too.
Past the concept of prepping the elements forward of time, that is additionally considered one of my favourite meals to make for different folks. Assume new households! Your complete dish freezes after meeting so the one factor left to do is bake (which is able to take about 20 minutes longer however apart from that-everything stays the identical!)
Hearty candy potato enchiladas made with simple spiced pinto beans and a fast, home made enchilada sauce.
The bottom gadgets
1 giant candy potato (1 to 1 ½ kilos)
four ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
eight, 6 to eight” corn/flour tortillas
For the sauce
1, 28 ounce can of entire tomatoes
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon floor cumin
half teaspoon floor coriander
half teaspoon dried oregano
half teaspoon smoked paprika
half teaspoon sea salt
1/four cup contemporary cilantro, minced
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
For the beans
1 ½ cups pinto beans with liquid (or 1 can of beans, with liquid)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
half teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Take a fork and pierce the candy potato a number of instances. Place in a roasting pan and bake till tender; 40 to 50 minutes. Alternatively, you may also steam or boil peeled/cubed candy potato pieces- simply decide whichever methodology is best.
- Whereas the candy potato is roasting, mix the tomatoes and spices for the sauce in a pan. Convey to a boil, cut back to a simmer, and let cook dinner till the tomatoes are sizzling sufficient to mash and the liquid begins to thicken, 30 to 40 minutes. Mash with a fork to interrupt down tomatoes and stir within the cilantro and vinegar.
- For the beans, mix the beans, their liquid, and spices in a separate pan. Convey to a boil cut back to a simmer, and cook dinner till the beans are sizzling and the liquid has thickened.
- As soon as the candy potato is finished, take away the pores and skin and frivolously mash.
- To assemble the enchiladas, pour about 1/three of the enchilada sauce within the backside of a 9×9 (or related sized) pan. Take a tortilla, dip it within the tomato sauce to melt, then place within the pan. Within the heart of the tortilla, layer a scoop of the candy potatoes adopted by a pair spoonfuls of beans, and a small sprinkle of the cheese. Roll the tortilla in order that it’s seam-side down within the pan and repeat with the remaining tortilla/filling.
- Prime the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese. Return the pan to the oven, drop the oven temperature to 375˚F and bake till the cheese has melted and is beginning to brown. Serve the enchiladas with further cilantro, sizzling sauce, and/or bitter cream.
These enchiladas freeze properly. Easy assemble, cowl, and freeze till you’re able to bake. Bake on the similar temperature however for about 20 to 30 minutes longer.
Key phrases: candy potato enchiladas