Watercress soup is elegant and custom in our family implies that we’ve it as a starter each Christmas. I’ve thought of the truth that we will’t use onion – the whole style profile onion offers to the dish – together with the slight quantity of sweetness it offers and I’ve changed the onion with options in hope of retaining it’s advantages with out its nasty intestine negative effects.
Watercress is a member of the brassica household of greens, due to this fact it’s associated to broccoli, cabbage, radish and rocket. Watercress has lot’s of peppery goodness, however though it’s wealthy in some vitamins you’ll solely acquire profit in the event you embrace it in your food plan frequently – fortunately it has numerous makes use of. It tastes wonderful with salmon and watercress is nice to make use of because the leaves for a salad, in the event you get pleasure from it’s barely scorching style! It incorporates some vitamin A, vitamin Okay and folate, plus iron (plus is an inexpensive supply of vitamin C to assist absorption of the iron – it’s most likely higher eaten as a salad leaf to realize this profit.) As it’s a supply of iron it’s due to this fact helpful for vegans to incorporate of their food plan alongside different sources – however this recipe must be made with almond milk and dairy free margarine as a substitute of butter to make in appropriate. Maybe I might attempt that subsequent!
The soup does comprise butter and makes use of full cream milk – however this can be a soup for particular events – so it’s OK to have this quantity of fats sometimes and you can change to semi skimmed milk and 20g fats, if wanted, in the event you do discover that wealthy meals lead to signs. The garnish I’ve used is watercress leaves, radish sprouts and dried seaweed – radish sprouts and seaweed aren’t integral to the dish, nevertheless – and the conkers within the image aren’t edible. I hope you get pleasure from it!
- 1 bag of contemporary watercress
- 500ml of full fats lactose free milk
- 1 sprinkle of asafoetida
- 1/four teaspoon of sugar
- Salt to style
- 40g butter
- 1 tablespoon of corn flour
- Soften the butter in a pan and add the cornflour while mixing and the sprinkle of asafoetida and the sugar. This won’t type a standard roux, however to not fear.
- Slowly drizzle within the milk – notice that it’ll begin to thicken at this stage and a whisk may be a greater software to make use of to make sure that no lumps are shaped.
- When all of the milk is added then deliver to a slight boil to thicken.
- Add the watercress and cook dinner till wilted then mix the soup
- Season to style.
- Serves 1-2