I’m not likely a dessert particular person. Who I’m is somebody who rummages by way of the freezer or the pantry round 3pm, with espresso in hand, in search of one thing candy as a result of I usually get pleasure from somewhat sugar rush within the afternoon. Enter: snack cake. Snack cake is somewhat indulgence that’s okay to get pleasure from at any time of the day, as a result of it’s only a “snack” in any case.
This recipe is predicated on my Vegan Pumpkin Bread that I make each fall. The feel of this cake is moist, just like that pumpkin bread. And whereas these cake squares resemble the scale and form of a blondie, they’re not dense or fudgy… they’re simply little cake squares that occur to not be tall.
Under, you’ll discover that I checklist 2 choices for the frosting. The second possibility is a really scrumptious cashew-maple frosting with a tangy contact of apple cider vinegar. It’s yummy on this fall cake, nevertheless, it’s somewhat thinner (like a thick glaze) and the colour is a not-as-photogenic gentle brown.
The primary possibility (pictured right here) is a extra conventional cream cheese frosting, utilizing vegan cream cheese, vegan butter, and powdered sugar. The cashew model is a tad more healthy, the cream cheese is extra indulgent – so the selection is yours!
I like chocolate and pumpkin collectively, so I topped my cake with chocolate chips. Some chopped pecans could be a scrumptious seasonal topping as effectively.
Pleased snacking! I’m off to complete the final sq. that’s nonetheless in my fridge 🙂
Pumpkin Snack Cake
- ¼ cup floor flaxseed
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons heat water
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegan chocolate chips, optionally available for sprinkling
- four ounces vegan cream cheese (I used Kite Hill plain)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tablespoons vegan butter, barely softened
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup uncooked cashews
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- three tablespoons almond milk, extra as wanted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon contemporary lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and flippantly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed and the water and put aside for five minutes to thicken.
- In a big bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the pumpkin, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and the flaxseed combination.
- Pour the moist components into the bowl of dry components and stir till simply mixed. Pour into the baking dish and bake for 20 to 23 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clear. Let the cake cool fully earlier than frosting or slicing.
- Frosting Choice 1: For the cream cheese frosting: In a big bowl beat the cream cheese and softened butter with an electrical mixer till clean. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar, and blend till clean.
- Frosting Choice 2: For the maple cashew frosting: In a high-speed blender, mix the cashews, maple syrup, almond milk, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, vanilla, and sea salt. Mix till fully clean. If vital for mixing, add extra almond milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, including as little as attainable in order that your frosting is not going to be too skinny. Chill till prepared to make use of.
The cashew frosting (possibility 2, not pictured) whereas very scrumptious, is not going to look as white and fluffy in your cake. The consistency is bit thinner, extra like a thick glaze.