10 YEARS!!! Can somebody please inform me the way it’s been a decade since I wrote my very first blog post? We’re celebrating in the present day with this unbelievable vegan dessert and a weeklong OSG Recipe App sale for charity (deets beneath).
After I began my weblog on October 31, 2008, Eric and I have been newly married and residing in Toronto whereas I used to be working full-time as a researcher and wrapping up my Grasp’s diploma. Life was fairly chaotic, and finishing my diploma was beginning to put on me down (at one level I believed I used to be simply going to chop my losses, throw within the towel, and transfer on!). This weblog was essentially the most superb artistic outlet throughout a time when my life was missing the type of creativity that I completely craved. It allowed me to discover a aspect of myself that I hadn’t since I used to be a child (like my love for pictures, baking, artistic writing/journaling, and simply being a goof). My weblog’s first tagline was “Meals. Health. Style. Enjoyable.” Fairly epic, proper? Lol. I’m grateful to Eric for encouraging me to “discover a interest” after years of exhausting myself with faculty and work. He nonetheless jokes that my “interest” become my profession, so I have to discover a new interest now. (Superb, I’ll begin my very own animal farm! YOU WIN!)
I discover writing therapeutic in soooo some ways. Within the early days, I didn’t have greater than a handful of readers, and I discovered it fairly straightforward to speak about my struggles on-line. I used to be like nobody goes to learn this anyway! It was a web-based journal of kinds, and I wrote about my historical past with disordered consuming and the way I used to be lastly getting myself on a path to restoration. I shared the challenges I confronted discovering a profession that I used to be actually obsessed with (and, finally, how I relinquished my have to people-please by utterly changing my career path). I had essentially the most supportive response from these first early weblog readers (in addition to my family and friends), so I saved writing with my coronary heart on my sleeve.
After coming within the prime three of the meals running a blog problem Project Food Blog, an editor from a significant publishing home emailed me saying she liked my work and was questioning if I’d like to write down a cookbook. Fairly positive I fainted! It was the e-mail that modified all the things and solidified the truth that I used to be on the fitting path after doubting myself and my resolution to vary careers for thus lengthy.
So right here we’re 1 weblog, three strikes, 2 cookbooks, 2 children, and 1 recipe app later…together with numerous late nights, self-doubt, and (ongoing) indecision for good measure! It positive has been a wild journey! I’m nonetheless studying and dreaming of latest objectives day-after-day (all without having the slightest clue how you can get there!). Above all, I’m actually pleased with the truth that I’ve stayed true to myself and the values I’ve for this hobby-turned-business. One of the best half is that I’ve been fortunate to satisfy so a lot of you superb individuals on-line and in individual, and I nonetheless can’t fairly imagine how freakin’ real, cool, and supportive everybody has been! It’s so loopy to suppose that a few of my greatest friendships have been made by this weblog. Ceaselessly grateful. Thanks from the underside of my veggie-lovin’ coronary heart for making this such a enjoyable journey. And cheers to the subsequent 10 years! Any guesses as to what adventures they’ll carry for you or me?
To have fun OSG’s 10-year anniversary, we’re having an enormous OSG Recipe App sale this week with 100% of the proceeds being donated to Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada. Proper now our app is simply 99 cents, so for those who’ve been fascinated about downloading it, this week is a superb time to take action whereas supporting a unbelievable trigger that’s close to and pricey to my coronary heart! You will discover our recipe app on each the iTunes and Google Play shops. Thanks a lot for all your superb assist and for serving to us give again to our neighborhood.
I had a lot enjoyable celebrating Canada’s meals writers on the Taste Canada Awards Gala final evening! We have been nominated within the Meals Blogs Well being and Particular Weight-reduction plan class, and I used to be so honoured to take house Gold! All I may take into consideration was how grateful I’m to have this recognition, particularly so near OSG’s 10-year milestone. Plus, Adriana and Arlo have been calling all of my meals “YUCKY” recently, so now I can present them the award and clarify that they’ve been outvoted, lol.
Final however not least, we’re having a bit get together to have fun 10 years and this new dessert is on the menu. I hope you’ll get pleasure from each chunk as a lot as we have now! With Halloween tomorrow, I can’t consider a greater time to bask in some creamy, dreamy, chocolaty PB goodness.
12 small or 9 medium servings
Prepare dinner time
For the crust:
- half cup (78 g) almonds
- 1 cup (100 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/four teaspoon advantageous sea salt
- 1/four cup (60 mL) coconut oil, melted
- three tablespoons (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) easy pure peanut butter
For the filling:
- half cup (125 mL) coconut oil
- 1/three cup (80 mL) coconut cream*
- half cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup
- three/four cup (185 g) easy pure peanut butter
- 1/four teaspoon advantageous sea salt, or to style
- half teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For topping (non-compulsory, however really useful):
- Coconut Whipped Cream**
- half cup (95 g) non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) coconut oil, melted***
- half cup (80 g) chopped toasted walnuts and large-flake coconut****
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Evenly grease an 8×8-inch sq. pan with coconut oil (together with up the edges, too). Reduce a chunk of parchment paper to suit the width of the pan with a little bit of overhang so it’s straightforward to raise out.
- For the crust: Add the almonds, oats, and salt to a meals processor and course of till the combination resembles a rough flour, about 30 seconds.
- Soften the 1/four cup coconut oil in a medium pot (you’ll be utilizing the identical medium pot for the filling) over low warmth. Add the melted oil, maple syrup, and peanut butter to the processor and course of till the combination comes collectively in a heavy dough, 10 to 15 seconds. The dough ought to seem like a moist cookie dough. If you happen to discover it a bit dry, add a teaspoon or two of water and course of once more till a moist dough kinds.
- Spoon the dough into the ready pan and crumble it evenly all around the base. Evenly moist your fingers and press the dough into the bottom firmly and evenly. Stage the perimeters together with your fingertips. Poke the bottom with a fork about 12 occasions to permit air to flee whereas baking.
- Bake the crust for 9 to 11 minutes, till it appears pale and a bit puffy. The crust may look underbaked if you take away it, however that is what we wish to keep away from drying it out.
- In the meantime, make the filling: In the identical medium pot (no want to scrub it!), soften the coconut oil and coconut cream over low warmth. Now add the maple syrup, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla and whisk till easy.
- Spoon the filling onto the crust (there’s no want to chill the crust first) and punctiliously switch the dish to a degree floor in your freezer. Chill till strong, about 2 hours. If I’m not serving the torte instantly, I’ll cowl the pan with tinfoil after a pair hours of freezing. Whereas it chills, put together the Coconut Whipped Cream and collect the toppings in order that they’re able to go.
- As soon as frozen, take away from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Slide a knife across the edges to loosen the slab. Utilizing the parchment paper, raise the slab out and place it on a serving platter. Slice into slices of your required width. Now add the toppings: I add a big dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream on every after which prime it with numerous drizzled melted chocolate, walnuts, and large-flake coconut. A pinch of coarse sea salt is good too. In case you have leftover melted chocolate, serve it on the aspect in a small dish so you possibly can spoon some extra chocolate over prime whereas consuming (belief me on this one!). Serve instantly—the combo of chilly filling and heat melted chocolate is simply dreamy! However the chilled leftovers (with hardened chocolate) are completely irresistible too.
- Storage ideas: The filling softens a fantastic deal at room temperature, so it is best to not go away leftovers on the counter for longer than half an hour. Return it to the fridge or freezer for greatest outcomes. Cowl leftover slices and retailer within the fridge for as much as 1 week, or you possibly can freeze the slices for four to six weeks. I prefer to wrap frozen slices in tinfoil after which place all of them right into a freezer-safe zip bag.